WW1 CWG Comely Bank cemetery

Discussion in 'Memorials & Cemeteries' started by liverpool annie, Jun 16, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

2. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

Looks like they are mass graves - was there a military hospital in the area?

In Greenwich cemetary near where I work, there are some of the usual CWGC graves, but some men - over 100 - are buried together in one large plot with a communal memorial. I don't know why some were treated differently, but the Sidney Herbert Military Hospital was just up the road.

3. spidge

spidge Active Member

Unable to load examples JPG's (any ideas Annie) however I have some similar ones at Comely Bank for the two Aussies in the AFC and RAF. One has a headstone and one is in a collective.

My ww2 photos from Malta show as many as 10 in one plot which in that case was probably due to space availability.

4. liverpool annie

You're asking me Geoff ?? :D:D ......... All I can suggest is that they're too big !!

Heres the information about Comely Bank cemetery ....... so it looks like it probably was space constraints !!

5. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hi Annie,

I uploaded 4 photos in Whats New at the portal. Click on last 2 days.

6. liverpool annie

Thanks Spidge !

7. sniper

sniper Active Member

Think you may find that these guys may have been cremated rather than buried.

Sniper