Women in Combat

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by skyblue, Jan 24, 2013.

1. skyblue

skyblue Active Member

I know women have helped out in varying degrees during all major wars. I've mostly heard about the women in WWII who took jobs or went into nursing. What else did women do towards the war effort in WWII?

And most currently, what do you think about the recent decision US to allow women to fight in combat positions? Is this good or bad? For those in other countries, are women allowed to fight in combat troops for your country?

Source:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57565479/panetta-to-lift-ban-on-women-in-combat/

2. vashstampede

vashstampede Active Member

The Russians had thousands of women in combat. Many were snipers. It doesn't take a man to push a button and kill someone from thousands feet away.

USSR is probably the country used most women directly in combat during WWII.

In a German WWII movie I also saw (1) girl in combat. It's the movie called "Downfall" if I remember correctly. Where one AA gun was placed in a street interaction in Berlin with a group of kids...lead by a few teenagers. The teen girl later committed suicide along with the teenager boy commander when they were about to be overrun by Soviets. Probably a good choice, cause she was hot.

When I was a kid, I have watched another WWII movie where a team of Women special forces were led by a single guy commander onto a mission. Most of them died. Can't remember the name of the movie though.

You have to understand that, most women in WWII only played a support role. Countries like the U.S. and USSR used women extensively in production, with Russian troops had to recruit women for combat uses because they were short on men (real men) power lol.

skyblue likes this.
  3. skyblue

skyblue Active Member

Good information, thank you. I had heard about the Russians using women in battle.

I wonder if there will be all-women combat units or integrated units in the US military. This will be interesting to watch as it is implemented. I am hoping the standards do not fall so that women can qualify. We need the strongest troops possible.

Diptangshu likes this.
  4. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

A fully women’s Regiment of INA was formed in July 1943 in south-east Asia during WW2. Its mighty captain was Capt. Lakshmi Swaminathan(Sahgal) during the fall of Singapore.

It was a pure infantry branch of INA(operated during Aug ‘42 – Sep ‘45) . Mainly operated in infantry operation , it also had a nursing wing. It is worth to mention that this women regiment had a significant role of Guerrilla operation . A personnel’ of 1000 from Singapore wing , its Bangkok and Rangoon units had about 500 & 300 capacity during last of 1943.

I heard that this regiment were enable to operate, anti-tank gun(ATG), Bren gun , grenades etc and much capable in jungle warfare too.

skyblue likes this.
  5. skyblue

skyblue Active Member

Wow! That's fascinating information, Diptangshu. Thank you for sharing it. I can see many assets to having women troops and I think I like the idea of all-women units better than mixed groups, but that is my first impression.

Diptangshu likes this.
  6. Vercingetorix

Vercingetorix Member

You know, this is interesting. This is a topic I have been thinking about for many years. I think that going forward standards will change. But I don't think they will universally fall. We will be adding a huge amount of people to the available manpower pool. It is true that most women are physically weaker than most men, so that might make you think that physical standards will drop. But, on the other hand, there will be more potential enlistees to choose from, so the military could afford to be a bit more picky about whom it enrolls. So the two effects my balance each other out.

Diptangshu likes this.
  7. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

By nature women are in a bit physically backward , provided if their intelligence is used,it'll be a huge support for the nation.

If I think for the front-line,they can be good sniper,tank-driver,gunner of the artillery,even best pilot for bombardier group(if not sending as a fighter pilot),instead of infantry-operation.

I may recall Hanna Reitsch of Germany during the fall of Berlin(WW2). US-President also recognise her ability after completion her term as a POW. Her bravery still to be
    remembered .

8. aghart

aghart Former Tank Commander Moderator

In the UK, we now have women pilots, women have served on ships for a number of years, and are soon to be allowed to serve on Submarines. In the army , the are only barred from Tank and Infantry Regiments. There are no plans currently to change the Tank/Infantry rule.

skyblue likes this.
  9. catevanne

catevanne Member

I say women in combat makes as much sense as women in the workplace. If a woman chooses to put herself in the danger of combat, then perhaps it's where she belongs.