William Jenkins : Rugby Player

Discussion in 'Sportsmen & women' started by Dolphin, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

This is one of a series of posts to mark the international Rugby players who served in, and survived, The Great War. If anyone has further information on the men concerned, I’d be most grateful if it could be added to the thread.

Gareth

Jenkins, William Joseph (‘Bill’) played for Wales

Internationals: 4 : 1912 I- F= ; 1913 S+ I+

William Jenkins was born in 1882 or 1885

Played as a Flanker/lock/prop for: Canton, Cardiff

Profession: House repairer

War service: Royal West Kents; he was the first to offer his servives at a recruitment meeting in Cardiff on 4 September 1914.

Remarks: William Joseph joined Cardiff RFC in 1909-1910 and played 158 games for the First XV up to 1919-1920. On 17 April 1915 he played in a Welsh XV v The Barbarians at Cardiff Arms Park in what was termed a ‘Military International’ between Wales and England, designed to boost recruiting for the newly-formed Welsh Guards and to raise money. Wales fielded a near International team with only one uncapped player (Dan Callan of the Royal Munster Fusiliers). The Barbarian side had 12 Englishmen, 2 Irishmen and 1 Welshman (South African International Joseph Partridge). The match, won by the Barbarians 26-10, raised £200. He played for The Barbarians v South African Services (9-3) on 20 November 1915.

His brother Edward was awarded a Welsh cap in Association Football in 1925.

He died on 23 December 1956.