Walter Lapage : Rugby Player

Discussion in 'Sportsmen & women' started by Dolphin, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

This is one of a series of posts to mark the international Rugby players who served in, and survived, The Great War. If anyone has further information on the men concerned, I’d be most grateful if it could be added to the thread.

Gareth

Lapage, Walter Nevill OBE played for England

Internationals: 4 : 1908 F+ (1t) W- (1t) I+ S-

Walter Lapage was born on 5 February 1883

Played as a Centre/wing for: Royal Naval College Greenwich, United Services Portsmouth, Royal Navy, Surrey

Profession: Royal Navy

War service: Royal Navy, promoted to Commander 30 June 1916; appointed to the Staff of Rear Admiral Sir Roger Keyes; served on board the battlecruiser HMS Lion, 1919. He retired as a Captain.

Remarks: Played for the Officers of the Royal Navy v the Officers of the Army in February 1907 (15-14) and 1913 (18-8), as well as for London (0-3) and Combined Navy and Army (6-8) v the 1908-1909 Wallabies.

He died on 17 May 1939

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Not much information about Walter I'm afraid ... but heres a few snippets !! .... :)

* He was born in Nantwich and scored a try in his debut for England
    England tour - Colombes, 1 January 1908 ..... France (0) 0 - 19 (6) England (FT)

Some family tree stuff !! :)

* And I found him on the Royal Navy List for 1908. Included on the crew list of all officers on board Royal Navy ships correct to 18th December 1907.

Vernon, 5481 tons, H.P.
    Captain
    Douglas A. Gamble

Commander
    Thomas P. Bonham
    Christopher R. Payne

Arthur de K. L. May

Lieutenant

Walter N. Lapage