Walter Julius Carey - Anglican chaplain

Discussion in 'Sportsmen & women' started by liverpool annie, Nov 23, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Walter Julius Carey b. 12 July 1875 d. 17 February 1955

Walter was an English rugby union forward, Anglican chaplain and theological author. Carey played club rugby for Oxford University and Blackheath and played international rugby for the British Isles XV in their 1896 tour of South Africa. He saw service as a Military Chaplain in the First World War and was once the Bishop of Bloemfontein.

2. liverpool annie

Although Carey never played international rugby for England, he was selected in 1896 to represent the British Isles in their tour of South Africa, after being nominated by his university along with Cuth Mullins Carey played in all four Tests against the South Africans, and scored a try in the opening Test at Port Elizabeth.

During the War, Carey served as a Chaplain to the Royal Navy and was present at the Battle of Jutland, onboard the battleship HMS Warspite. Carey married during wartime, to Fanny Emma Parfitt in 1917. They had one child, Wilfred Herbert.

3. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Annie

Thanks. He's another that I'd missed - the men who were Lions, but didn't play for their own country are harder to research.

Gareth

4. liverpool annie

You know .. it's still amazing to me how many Rugby players were "men of the cloth " or were the children of the same ! :)

5. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Annie

Remember that, as we all know, Rugby is the game they play in Heaven. This might account for it.

Gareth

6. liverpool annie

Oh right !!!!!!!!! .... how silly of me to forget !! :rolleyes: