U-977

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by preacherbob50, Oct 10, 2014.

1. preacherbob50

preacherbob50 Active Member

I'm really facinated by this one. It seems that U-977 had escaped at the end of the war via Antartica to South America possibly with Hitler or gold or a just bunch of valuable stuff.
    There's also a rumor that there caches down there and maybe a U-boat port of some sort. I do know that Hitler wanted Antartica for Germany and tried to claim it prior to the war.
    The net hasn't given me a whole lot except a headache between the opinions and maybe facts. I figured somebody here might have done a little better in their research than I have. So how about it...gimme, gimme!!

2. R Leonard

R Leonard Active Member

3. preacherbob50

Thanks and a handshake. Its got to be better than some of the stuff I have come up with. Conjecture is nice, and I have a lot of honor for it providing that the person has been where I'm researching. Otherwise, dates and places are of a lot of value to me also.

This one though is so full of so much mystique I have to get a good grip on it. Just trying to get rid of some of the ghosts and goblins about the story. Thanks again.

4. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

5. preacherbob50

Thanks to you too dip. R. Leonard led me to a couple sites that are interesting too. I'm still reading those, but I'll get to yours sometime this evening. So far I haven't nailed down the answers I'm looking for but I'm sure they are there somewhere. I have to do some "foot traffic" mapping and see what the results will be. There has to be a reason why so many people believe that Hitler was on board and didn't die in the bunker. That and the 66 day underwater excursion is facinating. And what about a possible Antarctic port and cache? I just gotta know, "fact or fiction" or how much fiction. Normally, wherever you find a series of spoken myths there are some small pieces of written facts tied to them.

6. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

What mentioned by Leonard, are extremely important for the case, provided, I just tried to get the onboard facts for U977. Thanks again.

7. preacherbob50

I will definitely get to your link. I'm just taking things one step at a time. I just might be ,"saving the best for last." Never know!

8. R Leonard

R Leonard Active Member

If you look at the below linked article from Nature magazine
    http://www.nature.com/news/2007/070326/full/news070326-14.html
    you find that it references a study entitled "Hitler's Antarctic base: the myth and the reality," originally published in 2007 in the Polar Journal; a publication which BTW is a pretty serious, no nonsense, scientific endeavor. The link to the actual article on the above page does not appear to work, but . . .

Let it not be said that wikileaks does not have its uses. Click on the link below and you get a 21 page study on the subject of Nazi Antarctic Conspiracy Theory. Pretty convincing in my world.
    https://wikileaks.org/gifiles/attach/49/49783_.pdf

If you've a problem with using wikileaks you can otherwise to go the Cambridge Journals site and pay for the privilege of reading the same thing
    http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=648112

9. preacherbob50

I think, with what you guys have provided, I can condense the volumes of information and write my own book. Just think,"preacherbob, the historical novelist!" It has a pretty good ring to it. Of course I'd have to mention you guys in the forward and give you some of the profit. Let's see, if I make a whole $5.00 on the deal, you guys should at least get a dollar.

10. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Active Member

I guess Hitler is in cryonic suspension, awaiting to be revived on the 1000th anniversary of the third reich. Don't forget their secret moon base.

11. preacherbob50

When I was abducted by the plutocians we made a pit stop (I had to go ) at one of the bases. Elvis said hi, or was it hiel. I'm not too sure.
    Actually Tom, I do have some interest in the sub thing. Myths can be a lot of fun, plus there is a lot of non- fiction that gets gleaned in the process. It's like reading the Iliad. Most of it is pure myth, but there's a lot you can get out of it concerning the Trojan war. It's better than the movies to be sure.

12. preacherbob50

I had to walk away for a minute. If you think about your comments about cryogenics and moon bases there is some reality to the basics. If any leader in the world could have pushed for space flight, Hitler was the man to do it. All of the German innovations just prior to and during WWII were tremendous. Affordable cars, the rocket research, the Messersmit(hope it's spelled right) airplane and jet, not excluding the ejection seats to put in them.
    If the war had lasted a couple of more years, it's hard to tell what the Germans would have been capable of inventing.

13. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Active Member

I'm sure that the Germans had some decent u-boats (See the movie Das Boot for an accurate account of German U-boats), not as advanced as the Japanese or American, though. They may have even explored the concept of an Antarctic base. After all, Hitler had the foresight to try the same thing that undid Napoleon. Attack Moscow by land, a brilliant move, especially while fighting on another front! He did give us the Bug, and very efficient crematoriums! Hitler is dead, he committed suicide when he realized how much damage he had done.

14. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  15. preacherbob50

Thanks and another tip o the hat!! Man, I love your style of study!! I guess I will have to toddle on over to that link and have a good hard read. Nice going again Dip!!