The Shrine of Rememberance, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Discussion in 'Memorials & Cemeteries' started by Antipodean Andy, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

The Shrine of Remembrance

Just popped across the road to the Shrine again at lunch time and discovered some more items of interest in the Crypt (Changi flag etc) which I hadn't been into before. Thought I might start a thread where I'll post pics of the Shrine and the grounds over time. The pics will be representative as there are more than 200 memorial trees (and plaques) that represent certain units around the grounds in addition to the statues etc. I'll put the rest in a gallery somewhere so as not to take up too much bandwidth here. Will post descriptions of the various features here.

Saw my first VC today (that I can remember seeing, not sure if Hendon has any but I was more interested in the aircraft at the age of 12!) but will post about that elsewhere.

2. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Guest

Sounds like a nice place to visit Andy :)

If I ever go back to Aussie for a holiday, I will have to visit the shrine (as well as the Lancaster bomber that is over in Perth, representing 463 Squadron).

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

That looks like a lovely stained glass window. A full picture would be great Andy

4. spidge

spidge Active Member

5. Antipodean Andy

I think it's part of an exhibition on at the moment, mate, and not an actual window. I plan to spend every lunch hour there next week so will get pics of the exhibition.

There's also one on Monash at the moment that I whizzed through today. Will read it properly next week.

6. Antipodean Andy

Six months down the track and I still haven't started with the photos. With the nice weather about, I should get into it soon.

7. Golden Wattle

Golden Wattle New Member

Hi AA,
    "With the nice weather about, I should get into it soon"
    Are you talking about the actual taking of the photo's or putting them on this site?
    If you are talking about the taking of the photo's maybe we could arrange for the Melbournites on this site to assist.
    Maybe meet there on a Sunday and we could take more photo's which would lessen your workload.

Just an idea.

Cheers

8. Antipodean Andy

Not a bad idea, GW. Since I posted last, I was made redundant so have not been into the city since early February (other than for Sound Relief) and haven't seen the Shrine since then. I have no probs with anyone putting up Shrine photos in this thread. It is a stunning place - the more photos the better.

9. Golden Wattle

Golden Wattle New Member

AA,
    As well as the actual Shrine, I was thinking of the plaques on the trees.
    I am going o/s in April. Won't be back until 20May.
    Going to Egypt/Turkey.
    I get to spend 4 hours in El Alamein, and 5 hours at Gallipoli.
    That is better than nothing.
    I will try & take as many photo's as I can.

If you & others on this thread want to arrange a Sunday after the 20th please count me in.
    Alternatively I can try to arrange something when I get back.

Miles
    P.S. Sorry to hear about your redundacy.

10. Antipodean Andy

Wow, have a bloody good trip, Miles. Five hours is about what I spent at Gallipoli as well. Five days would have been better! Look forward to your pics.

11. Golden Wattle

Golden Wattle New Member

AA,
    Thanks.
    In a few years I hope to "do" the Aus War Memorial trips to Gallipoli & the Western Front. A curator for each trip accompanies a group & you receive in depth tuition. A week at Gallipoli & a week at the Front.
    I only found about this AFTER I booked this current trip.

Any way I will take as many snaps as I can.

Cheers:clap2:

12. Golden Wattle

Golden Wattle New Member

AA,
    Just saw your question on another thread.
    Did you ever get to read Pompey Elliott?
    I read it last year, great read, great man.

Cheers

13. Antipodean Andy

Haven't got the book yet, Miles. Should have grabbed it when I saw it but I have enough trouble with Commonwealth aircrew in WWII.

Don't read WWI as a rule but do have a few books in my collection. Wouldn't mind reading my Hard Jacka one of these days.

14. Golden Wattle

Golden Wattle New Member

Haven't read that one yet.
    I will get it when I get back.
    I have a list of books sitting here at the moment:
    Line of Fire: Stories From WWI to Vietnam
    The Magnificent 9th (Division) WWII
    The Western Front Diaries WWI

It is amazing, when I was growing up there was very little about the Aussies during the wars. There was only US or UK.
    Now there are new books everyday, thank goodness.
    Hopefully this generation learns about our history.

Cheers

15. spidge

spidge Active Member

My niece gave me "The Western Front Diaries" for Christmas and still have not sat down to read it. I have the four days off at Easter and will be going away camping at Corowa. Hopefully the R&R will include a day of reading.

16. Golden Wattle

Golden Wattle New Member

Spidge,
    I'm looking forward to the Diaries, But particularly the Magnificent 9th.
    It was hard to find, had to import the book from NZ.
    The 9th were magnificent unit, it should be a good read.

Cheers

17. Golden Wattle

Golden Wattle New Member

Spidge,
    As discussed last year, I am going to the El Alamein War Cemetery (in April) for a few hours.
    Was there a particular headstone you would like me to photograph?

Cheers

18. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hi GW,

Thanks for the offer however my photo requirements are limited to Aussies in the AFC/RFC/RNAS/RAF in WW1.

Cheers

Geoff

19. Golden Wattle

Golden Wattle New Member

No worries