Sydney Coopper, Rugby Union

Discussion in 'Sportsmen & women' started by robco, Nov 15, 2009.

1. robco

robco Member

Engineer Commander Sydney F Cooper
    Born October 1878 and died 16 January, 1961
    Playd for Blackheath, Devon, Royal Navy and Barbarians. Won seven caps for England as a wing. Won only once in those matches.
    Served throughout WW1 as regular RN engineer officer on destroyers. Was sunk once and mentioned in despatches. Retired from RN in October 1924.
    Becme Secretary of the Rugby Football Union in October 1924 and retired from that post in 1947. Was known as the founder "of the modern Twickenham".

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

So Robco ... are you just giving us these rugby men for information only - or are you looking for something else ? :confused:

Seems that you know all about them already ..... I think I made the mistake of thinking you wanted more ! :rolleyes:

I'd be glad to try and find more ..... just let us know what it is you really want !

Annie

3. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

He was mentioned on the Arthur Cornish thread !!

Crawshays Welsh RFC is an invitational rugby union team.

In 1922 Captain Geoffrey Crawshay was invited by the Engineer Commander of Devonport Services, SF Cooper, to bring a team of Welsh rugby union players to play Devonport Services RFC. From this beginning, the start of one of the most famous amateur teams in the United Kingdom, was born

http://ww1talk.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1885

Annie :)

4. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Coopper, Sidney Frank played for England

Internationals: 7 : 1900 W- ; 1902 W- I+ (1t) ; 1905 W- I- (1t) S- ; 1907 W-

Sidney Coopper was born in October 1878

Played as a Wing for: Royal Naval Engineering College Keyham, Blackheath, Barbarians, Devon

Profession: Royal Navy; retired 1924.

War service: Served as an Engineering Officer on destroyers and was once sunk. Mentioned in despatches.

Remarks: Secretary of the Rugby Football Union 1924-1927. Described by John Daniel as ‘The father of modern Twickenham”.

He died on 16 January 1961

5. robco

robco Member

I'm looking to try to build up a picture of their war service and to find any pictures or other references to their lives. The sporting aspect I've got reasonably well covered.

6. nigelcoopper

nigelcoopper New Member

I'm the great grandson of Sydney Coopper and we know a bit about his sporting past but very little about his military service. I was hoping someone could give me some more information or point me in the right direction at least. Dolphin, you mentioned he was sunk and mentioned in despatches, do you have any more info on these events, where didi you find this out?