Sunderland U-461 sinks the German submarine U-461

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by The Aviator, Nov 23, 2007.

1. The Aviator

The Aviator New Member

The date is July 30, 1943; the scene is the Bay of Biscay, that expanse of sea between the Brest Peninsula and the north coast of Spain, where the German U-boats were at their most vulnerable as they set out and returned from their deadly missions in the Atlantic Ocean. Three German U-boats, heading for the Wolf Packs with fuel, ammunition and supplies, have been caught on the surface by aircraft from RAF Coastal Command and, under instructions from Admiral Donitz, the submarines will remain on the surface and fight.
    Circling in a defensive pattern, each of the three submarines could bring to bear 10 guns to welcome an intruder, together providing an intense wall of firepower comprising no fewer than 30 cannons plus machine guns. The effective use of depth charges demanded an attack from an extremely low level, and the dangers to the aircrews were therefore intense.

A predominantly Australian crewed Sunderland prefix U from No. 461 Squadron RAAF arrived on the scene. Its pilot, Flight Lieutenant Dudley Marrows, having assessed the situation, immediately heads into the attack. Bringing his massive flying boat, identification letter U, down to wave top height, he makes a daring run at the nearest U-boat. By a strange quirk of fate, his chosen target is U-461, a type XIV tanker.

The final moments of U-461 came as Marrows powers his four-engine aircraft over the conning tower, through a hail of gunfire from all three submarines. Seven depth charges straddled U-461 and the explosions literally blew the ship apart. Climbing away to assess the situation Dudley Marrows could see survivors in the water and in an involuntary act of compassion, flew back over the scene to drop one of his three dinghies to the survivors. It saved their lives.

Aided by; a Liberator of 53 Sqn. RAF, a Sunderland of 228 Sqn., a Catalina of 210 Sqn., together with Captain Walker's Royal Navy destroyers in the final action, the Allies air and surface forces accounted for the two remaining submarines, thus wiping out an entire U-boat group.

"The U-boats were maneuvering in formation, keeping bows pointed towards the attacking aircraft, putting up a formidable barrage of cannon and machine gun fire. I decided the only thing to do was to go in as low as possible. We went in, jinking violently, with all 30 guns of three submarines firing at us. Shrapnel was hitting the fuselage like hail. Just skimming the swell tops, I had to pull up to clear the sub as I dropped my depth charges. We just cleared the conning tower."

Sunderland pilot, Flight Lieutenant Dudley Marrows RAAF

Attached Files:

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

3. The Aviator

The Aviator New Member

Looks like The Aviator has to humbly apologise again here. A Mod has told me in an er most diplomatic way that I have worked for nothing all afternoon on my war books looking for a new article to put up of interest, only to commit the incredible sin of actually posting an article already covered.
    How dare I be so presumptious as to expect it not to be already covered here?

But well pointed out Kty. Marvelous modding.

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Not a sin at all Avi. And I found it well written.

Just like to cross link posts where and whenever I can so that anyone reading one maybe interested in t'other. Having said that I've now realised that I didn't reciprocate on that thread.

5. The Aviator

The Aviator New Member

No worries Kyt. That'll teach me to use search properly.

6. spidge

spidge Active Member

Great minds think alike.

One of my favourite Sunderland events.