Stalin - "We" supported him - Could never trust him!

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by spidge, Nov 2, 2007.

1. spidge

spidge Active Member

Stalin - "We" supported him - Could never trust him!
    The "allies" could never have trusted Stalin as far as they could throw him.

Can anyone remember this blokes name?

Do you remember who cut ties with France and Britain so he could jump into bed with Hitler?
    Do you remember September 1939?
    Do you remember who made a pact with Hitler so he was free to start his war in Europe?
    Do you remember who continued to trade with Germany after the war commenced against the Allies in 1939?
    Do you remember who signed a secret protocol with Germany that they would not assist Britain and France against Germany if Germany invaded Poland.
    Do you remember that during the first years of the war, this economic agreement helped Germany bypass the British blockade.
    Do you remember who invaded Poland with Hitler and agreed on a carve up of that country?
    Do you remember who slaughtered thousands of those Polish soldiers and citizens in his grab for a "Sphere of Influence" in Poland.
    Do you remember who took over the countries of Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia in his grab for land?
    Do you remember the 150,000 people in those Baltic states he sent to their deaths by massacre and deportation to labour camps in the first year.

Te answer, Joseph Stalin.

Without the assistance of the allies in men and materiel and the loss of 140,000 allied airmen over Germany destroying their ability to wage war, the Soviet Union would most likely have been defeated.

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

3. atau

atau New Member

Spidge, I do not support your guessing exercise.

Politics is a dirty thing altogether, but it is clear that it was western politics (British, French and American) which made WW2 possible in the first place. Read Churchill (Second world war, vol.1). And after the despicable Munchen pact where western powers chopped Chekhoslovakia into pieces, the war became imminent.
    See also (WW2 in Color History Forum - View Single Post - USSR in alliance with nazi Germany - 10k -)
    Britain was as big an enemy of communism as Germany, if not more. There was no trust whatsoever.

You should be bit more careful with "land grab"- do not forget that
    1. Russia lost territiries as a result of WW1,
    2. Buffer territories in the west and north-west were considered essential for the defence due to mounting threat from Germany

Stalin commited crimes against humanity, but let us also then put Churchill and Truman into one line! Churchill- for bombing of Dresden, Koln and other German cities, and Truman- for nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

4. spidge

spidge Active Member

5. atau

atau New Member

Of course, facts are facts- but need to be looked at in a historic context.

6. spidge

spidge Active Member

7. atau

atau New Member

8. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Atau, I think you're right about not knowing the long-lasting effects of radiation but I don't agree about not knowing the scale of devastation. If the Americans had not known how effective the bomb was from its tests, they would have sent more than one to Hiroshima.

If battles were ended by the Japanese blowing themsleves up, how is this bad for the Americans? Ah, I see, you mean the Japanese would fight to the end thereby holding the advance up. I can't see how this is any different to the resistance encountered during the island-hopping campaign.

However, I think bringing the war to a swift end was vitally important on several fronts including saving millions of lives AND preventing the eternal opportunists, the Soviets, from taking further Japanese territory at the death knell.

9. atau

atau New Member

Andy, I still think there is some controversy about what played major role in the capitulation of Japan:
    Perhaps, both the Bomb and The Soviet advance played role. The Emperor still tried to strike a peace deal with Soviets even after the first bombing. However Churchill and Truman were poised to avoid taking Soviets into the equation, otherwise there might have been another avenue for peace.