Stalag IXc July 1941 to April 1942

Discussion in 'Prisoners of War' started by NickFenton, Aug 4, 2009.

1. NickFenton

NickFenton Member

Guys,

I am researching the history of Stalag IXc between July 1941 and April 1942 when my Father was there. I know of Nabarro, McCairns and Hall, who all escaped at this time with my Father. Nabarro and McCairns actually returning to England during later escapes.

W W (Bill) Hall followed my Father through various POW camps across occupied Europe over the following few years. Nabarro's and Hall's experiances are covered by their books 'Wait for the dawn' and 'A flyers tale' together with official documentation.

Others names in my Father's YMCA log are John F H Bristow (Bristow was the Radio Man and l have a very small cats whisker radio at home which is certainly home made) and Edward Arthur Stanley Parris who spent time in Stalag XIc Kdolfyo Stadroda Thuringen, Stalag XIc Bad Sulza, Stalag Luft 3 and 6 and 357. The usual route, if there is one for an early RAF prisoner.

I assume that XIc i a spelling mistake and it is 9c but is the first camp listed the hospital at Bad Sulza as he was wounded either during his escape from the aircraft or upon capture?

Under escapes he says "April 29th 1942 Please refer to W/O Deans report already made, to RAF and Red Cross; this was a special report made". My Father left Stalag IXc on 29th april and arrived at Stalag Luft 3 on 1st May 1942.

We know who Dixie is but does anyone know of this report?

It is easy to see the 'Group' at Fallingbostal and l will list them out shortly, others are more recent captives, some from the same squadrons, etc. so you can see who was 'together' on the various marches.

Can any one add other books that might help or referances to official documents anywhere.

Regards,

Nick