SS Mendi

Discussion in 'World War 1' started by liverpool annie, Jan 2, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

The South African Native Labour Contingent began recruiting in South Africa for overseas service in 1916 and in all some 25,000 men volunteered. Although they would bear no arms, the contingent would carry out transport and supply work in France, chiefly in the ports and lines of communication, but also in the forward areas. The work was vital and during an inspection of the contingent at Abbeville in 1917, King George V had no hesitation in recognising the role they played as 'part of my great armies which are fighting for the liberty and freedom of my subjects of all races and creed throughout the Empire.'

Almost 1,300 men of the South African Native Labour Contingent died during the war, many of sickness or disease contracted in the harsh and unfamiliar northern climate, but one tragedy dealt them a blow comparable to the Infantry's devastating experience at Delville Wood. In the early hours of 21 February 1917 the troop transport SS Mendi, en route from Plymouth to Le Havre, was sunk following a collision with another vessel in thick fog. More than 600 of the 800 officers and men of the contingent on board were lost. Few of the bodies were recovered, and most of these men are now remembered by name, far away from home, on the Hollybrook Memorial at Southampton in the United Kingdom. In France Arques-la-Bataille British Cemetery contains 270 graves of the South African Native Labour Contingent and a memorial erected by their comrades to all men of the contingent who died in France.

http://www.cwgc.org/admin/files/cwgc_southAfrica.pdf

"Be quite and calm my countrymen, for what is taking place now is what you came here to do. We are all going to die, and that is what we came for. Brothers, we are drilling the death drill. I, a Zulu, say here and now that you are all my brothers... Xhosas, Swazis, Pondos, Basotho and all others, let us die like warriors. We are the sons of Africa. Raise your war cries my brothers, for though they made us leave our assegais back in the kraals, our voices are left with our bodies..."
    (The Reverend Isaac Wauchope Dyobha)

THE SS MENDI - A HISTORICAL BACKGROUND

Black people of South Africa have a proud and illustrious heritage, which identifies with the whole South African society. Blacks have equally played a very important role in the defence of this country dating back to the First World War.

The story of the South African Native Labour Corps (SANLC), particularly the sinking of the Mendi troopship, is one of the most fascinating stories ever related in South Africa's military history.

http://www.navy.mil.za/newnavy/mendi_history/mendi_hist.htm

Attached Files:

2. liverpool annie

The SS Mendi

On 16 January 1917, the SS Mendi troopship sailed from Cape Town en route to La Havre in France, carrying the fifth battalion of the South African Native Labour Contingent. About 805 black privates, 22 white officers and 33 crewmembers were on board.

On the morning of 21 February 1917, just south of the Isle of Wight, the 4 000-ton steamship was rammed and almost cut in half by an 11 000-ton liner, the SS Darro. It sank in 20 minutes, killing 607 black troops, nine white officers and all 33 crewmembers.

Stories of the troops' bravery abound. Reverend Isaac Wauchope Dyobha calmed the dying men by saying: "Be quiet and calm my countrymen, for what is taking place now is what you came here to do. We are all going to die, and that is what we came for.

"Brothers we are drilling the death drill. I say here and now that you are all my brothers. Xhosas, Swazis, Pondos, Basotho and all others, let us die like warriors. We are the sons of Africa. Raise your war cries my brothers, for though they made us leave our assegais in our kraals, our voices are left with our bodies …"

3. liverpool annie

In Memory of
    Private ISAAC WAUCHOPE DYOBHA

3276, Medical Section., South African Native Labour Corps
    who died
    on 21 February 1917

Remembered with honour
    HOLLYBROOK MEMORIAL, SOUTHAMPTON