Spitfire ML407

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Kyt, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Historic aircraft and CG is still, to my knowledge, the only female Spitfire display pilot. She's an Aussie too!

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I've got the book on ML407 but never thought to do a net search. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a ride in her?

4. Antipodean Andy

It would be heaven on a stick! I watched that series a few years ago where Carolyn taught some guys how to fly the Spit. Lucky sods.

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

A woman with a Spit - the ultimate fantasy!

6. BC1

BC1 New Member

The guy who has done the commentary for the Lowestoft (Suffolk UK) Air Fest for the past 10 years always comes out with a load of tosh about the time-line of events on Spit ML407: "Nick Grace only flew it once" and "Just after it flew for the first time (after restoration) Nick Grace was killed in a car crash" are a couple of the gems broadcast over the PA system.
    He works without notes, too.
    BC1

7. Antipodean Andy

I suppose three years of display flying could be classed as "just after it flew for the first time"...if you close one eye and put your head on its side.

8. BC1

BC1 New Member

The same bloke gave us Carmichael's FAA Korean War Sea Fury MiG 15 shoot-down as "..the first time a piston-engined fighter had shot down a jet" ( I'll bet a few old Me 262 pilots would challenge that ?) and "The Memphis Bellewas based in Suffolk". The latter was obviously a vain attempt to make a local link with the B-17 as Sally B did her display. Bassingbourn was still in Cambridgeshire when I last checked. Now these might well go over the head of Mr & Mrs Joe Public at the display eating ice cream with their kids on the sea front, but it irritates me intensely.
    Obviously thick-skinned too, as I have repeatedly pointed out the cock-ups but to no avail.
    BC1

9. Antipodean Andy

Impressive that he still gets to do the job.