Sgt. Ken Fenton, 139 Squadron Blenheim.

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by NickFenton, Aug 9, 2008.

1. NickFenton

NickFenton Member

Just came over from some of those other forums to say hi and recognise a number of you chaps already.

I am researching my Father's war history, Sgt. Kenneth Fenton, a member of 139 Squadron, shot down on 1st July 1941 in Blenheim V6258 XD-L for Leather with his crew, Alan Fuller and Robert McDonald, captured along with the crew of HSL 108 which was sent to rescue them, and spent time in Dulag Luft, Stalag IXc (Bad Sulza), Stalag Luft 3 and 6 (Sagan and HeyderKrug) and 357 (Thorn and Fallenbostal) before being liberated in 1945.

Found out a lot with much help from many and always willing to help the others with their research.

Regards,

Nick

2. David Layne

David Layne Active Member

Greetings Nick, good to see you.

3. spidge

spidge Active Member

Welcome to the forum Nick.

Your father certainly had a testing time being transferred to all of those prison camps.

From my records we had 8 RAAF lads killed with 139sq. First was an Australian in the RAF William George McCracken on 30/10/1939. Another was killed on 3/7/1941, just a couple of days after your father's aircraft was shot down. (Not sure whether it was KIA or accidental)

Cheers

Geoff

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Welcome to Chat Nick - good to see you over here.

Spidge, I take it your man is James Archer Cormack. He was killed in action when Blenheim V6452 was lost to flak on a mission to Hazebrouck. Also killed were Sgt A M Smith and Sgt J A G Forsyth.

5. spidge

spidge Active Member

Thanks Kyt,

Spot on again.

Cheers

Geoff

6. NickFenton

NickFenton Member

Thanks Fella's.

Of those on the raid on 30th June to Pony-a-Vendin, 8 crews from 139 squadron took part including Cormack and crew. I have yet to find out the fate of 3 of them but of the others, 5 were shot down in July 1941, only 2 of these crews survived. My Fathers and Eric Sydney-Smith's crew, although his crew membership had changed at that time.

Of interest to note, this raid was part of Circus 27 supported by the Tangmere Wing, lead by Barder with Sgt. James McCairns in support. McCairns was shot down on 6th July 1941 and was put in the same cell as my Father on 11th July at Dulag Luft. These two escaped from Stalag IXc, Bad Sulza, on 20th November 1941 but were soon recaptured. McCairns subsequently made a home run and became a successful Lysander pilot.

This is where you really find out what these guys went through.

Regards,

Nick

7. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

James Atterby McCairns did indeed become a very special Lysander pilot. He was awarded the Military Medal for escaping, and then subsquently earned a DFC and two bars for his time with 161 Squadron. Sadly he was killed in a flying accident on 13th June 1948.

Military Medal. 14 August 1942
    754718 Flight Sergeant James Atterby McCAIRNS. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

Distinguished Flying Cross. 13 April 1943
    Flying Officer James Atterby McCAIRNs, M.M. (125754), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve,
    No. 161 Squadron.
    This officer has completed many sorties, most of them of a. hazardous nature. He is a courageous and determined pilot, who has set an example worthy of the highest praise.

Bar to Distinguished Flying Cross. 10 August 1943
    Flying Officer James Atterby MCCAIRNS, D.F.C., M.M. (125754), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, No. 161 Squadron.
    This officer has completed numerous sorties, displaying a high degree of skill and determination throughout.

Second Bar to Distinguished Flying Cross. 11 January 1944
    Acting Flight Lieutenant James Atterby McCAIRNS, D.F.C., M.M. (125754), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, No. 161 Squadron.
    Since being awarded a Bar to the Distinguished Flying Cross, Flight Lieutenant McCairns has participated in a large number of successful operational missions. He is a model of efficiency and his example of determination and devotion to duty has won great praise.

Interesting to read about his escape:

Translated version of http://www.cometeline.org/fiche016.html

Some mistakes in the article though. He was killed in 1948, not 1946, when Mosquito NT423's engine cut, and aircraft control lost at low altitude - dived into ground near Finningley. The passenger was AC2 Edward Shaw

McCAIRNS JAMES ATTERBY | Roll of honour | Armed forces memorial
    SHAW EDWARD | Roll of honour | Armed forces memorial

8. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hi Nick,

Did you come across anything on this lad during your research? He was an Aussie in the RAF.

McCRACKEN, WILLIAM GEORGE
    Pilot Officer
    139sq RAF
    30/10/1939
    Royal Air Force
    UK
    Spec. Memorial.
    REICHSWALD FOREST WAR CEMETERY

9. Brian S

Brian S Guest

139 Squadron

Hi Nick and Welcome,
    glancing through my records I have come across Flt.Lt. Sniders who made an E & E Report in 1945. Looks as though he was on the loose in Germany.

10. Brian S

Brian S Guest

139 Sqn.

Heres another Nick;
    F/O. J.R. Cassals D.F.C. Was on the run perhaps a little earlier than F/Lt. Sniders.

11. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Welcome Nick. I hope you enjoy it here. Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

12. NickFenton

NickFenton Member

Geoff,

Not come across this fella so far but will have a look next time at Kew.

Thanks Brian. Always interested to find out what happened to the 139 boys.

Nick

13. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

Welcome aboard Nick. Best of luck with your research.

Cheers

Owen

14. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Hi Brian

I thought Cassels and Woollard, flying Mosquito LR505, crashed in Sweden and were interned.

15. Brian S

Brian S Guest

Cassels and Woollard

Hi Kyt,

It is another of the peculiarities of the E & E Reports. If you Evaded for a while before being Captured or Interned, MI9 were interested and you made a Report as an Evader.These are in the WO 208 Escapers and Evaders Files.

In many cases there were men who Escaped and were hidden locally until Liberated by advancing Armies. In most cases they didn't make an Escapers Report,but made an MI9 Liberation Report in WO344.

Those who were P.O.W. in Italy until the Armistace, then made their way to Switzerland where they were interned made a Report in WO208. All 4,100 of them.

So yes you are Right they would have been interned. MI9 would have wanted to know such things as Routes Taken,who helped and what use if any were the Escape Aids they were issued.

16. Brian S

Brian S Guest

139 Squadron

When you get to Kew Nick here are the References.

WO208/3323 Report No. 2514 Sgt. P.W.WALKER
    WO208/3324 Report No. 2518 F/O. A.J.A.WOOLARD D.F.M.
    ********* Report No. 2587 F/Lt. J.D. ROBINS
    WO208/3326 Report No. 2992 F/Lt. E.SNIDERS

17. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Thanks for the update Brian. It's amazing the amount I've learnt from you about TNA.

18. Brian S

Brian S Guest

T.n.a.

You'll get hooked Kyt. I am.

Another visit to Kew next week to get a"fix".

19. Ferhilt

Ferhilt New Member

What resources are you guys using to look these up? I would like to learn so I can take a peek at them too :)

And whats Kew and TNA?

20. Brian S

Brian S Guest

T.n.a.

Kew is in West London, and T.N.A. are The National Archives at KEW.

The References used are the Catalogues by name of Escapers and Evaders Reports I have created. Information can be found without travelling to London and thumbing through page after page.
    There are 97 Files in total that names were extracted from. Took about 18 months as I live over 150mls from Kew.

T.N.A. wanted copies but didn't want to pay me for the work. Needless to say they haven't got copies.