Seeking info on BoB pilot

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by clivetemple, Jul 13, 2009.

1. clivetemple

clivetemple New Member

Sgt R. F. Sellers (who I believe served with 45 and 111 Sqns.)

Does anyone please have any further info? He appears to have been alive in Nov 2008 according to another thread.

Come on, you should know the drill by now. Did he go to school in Woking? :lol:

Thanks.

2. CXX

CXX New Member

Clive,

A slight correction, during the B of B Sellers served with 46 and 111 Squadrons.

Regards
    Peter

3. clivetemple

clivetemple New Member

4. CXX

CXX New Member

Hi Clive,

My info comes from 'Men of the Battle of Britain' - Wynn. Definitely gives his squadron as No.46.

The question now is, which is correct?

Regards
    Peter

5. clivetemple

clivetemple New Member

Thanks Peter.

LOL... I now have less info than when I started...

6. spidge

spidge Active Member

BOBHS states: [FONT=Tahoma, Arial][SIZE=-1][FONT=Tahoma, Arial][SIZE=-1]SELLERS, Sgt. R. F. 111224 British. 111 & 46 Squadrons [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

7. CXX

CXX New Member

Seems Sellers was with 46 Squadron and not 45.

At the time of the BofB 45 Squadron were operating with the Blenheim I out in the Middle East where they spent almost the whole war. 46 Squadron were re-established at Digby with a detachment at Ternhill on 13 June 1940, operating with the Hurricane I. They moved to Stapleford on 1 September 1940 and on 8 November 1940 to North Weald, these date covering the BofB time scale.

Regards
    Peter.

8. CXX

CXX New Member

More confirmation that Sgt Sellers was with 46 Squadron.

From 111sqdn ORB, Sgt Sellers posted to 46sqdn with effect 16/09/40,

Regards
    Peter.

9. clivetemple

clivetemple New Member

Thanks Peter, much appreciated.

10. Dave Barlow

Dave Barlow Member

SELLERS, Sgt. R. F. 111224

More info on 111224 Raymond Frederick SELLERS -

We know that he was commissioned in Dec41 to Pilot Officer (PLTOFF), promoted to Flying Officer (FLGOFF) in Nov42 and to Flight Lieutenant (FLTLT) in Nov43. Awarded the Air Force Cross (AFC) in June44. Discharged as a FLTLT in Jan48. Gazetted as service numbers 111224 & 11124 and a couple of misread versions of this on the website.

If I'm reading the gazette and the autograph website correctly he had service number 758100 as a SNCO (Sergeant pilot).

AIR CREW AUTOGRAPHS (with a nice little photo)

RAYMOND FREDERICK SELLERS 758100 SPITFIRE 111-46 Squadron 1 Shared Destroyed

No info on what squadron he was with at those times though....

Flight Lieutenant Raymond Frederick Sellers, AFC, 80, 46 Squadron, Lincolnshire, Hurricanes

11. clivetemple

clivetemple New Member

Thanks Dave, does anyone know if he's still alive?

12. spidge

spidge Active Member

As of 12th March 2006 the numbers had dwindled to 176 (listed below) with the death of Wing Commander Christopher "Bunny" Currant DSO, DFC & Bar. His obituary on another post.

Sellers was on this list as one of those 176.

13. Bill Haldane

Bill Haldane New Member

Sgt. Ray Sellers joined No 111 Squadron on the 17th of August 1940. and he had 34 hrs logged on Hurricane's. He logged 122 flying hours during the Battle of Britain. He was shot down on the 26th of August 1940 during combat with a couple of Bf 110's over Essex. He then transferred to No 46 Squadron at Stapelford Tawney (a satellite airfield for North Weald ) on the 18th of September after recovering in hospital. The day that the Squadron lost Sgt.G.W.Jeffries. Ray Sellers was later promoted to Flight Lieutenant and awarded the A.F.C. From the b-of-b.co.uk website which gives you a nice little photo as well. Hope this helps, Bill Haldane

14. clivetemple

clivetemple New Member

Thank you Bill, much appreciated.