Royal Sussex / Somerset Light Infantry

Discussion in 'Regiment Histories' started by KeeleyA, Apr 26, 2008.

1. KeeleyA

KeeleyA New Member

Hello All

I am currently looking into my family history and at present into the life of my Great Uncle Arthur Keeley.
    He was born in Ellesmere Port in Cheshire and at the time of the out break of WW2 was a professional footballer on the books of Portsmouth football club. I think this is maybe why he was called up to the Royal Sussex Regiment. I just wondered if anyone could give me any information on the very sketchy information I have written below or maybe point me in the right direction of where I could find out more.

Arthur Keeley
    Born: 26/09/1916
    Regiment: Royal Sussex Regiment No. 307954
    Branch: Infantry

A notice of death in the local paper says he was in France in 1940 and had returned via Dunkirk and before being commissioned saw service in West Africa but does not say with which battalion.

He was sent to the 7th Battalion Somerset light infantry as a battlefield casualty replacement on 21st July 1944 before being mortally wounded at Les Hameux on the 9th August 1944. He died the next day and is buried in the Tilly-Sur-Seulles war cemetery in France.

I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me anything, or where i could find out what Battalion he may have been in with the Royal Sussex Regiment or any more information on any of the above

Many Thanks

David

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Hello David

apologies for the late reply. It is rather difficult to ascertain which battalion he was with but all the details would be available through his service record. It would be worth getting, or asking his nearest next of kin to apply. For details of how to do so have a read of this thread:

http://ww2chat.com/forums/general-topics/1864-service-records.html
    (Post #7)

3. KeeleyA

KeeleyA New Member

Thankyou very much for taking the time to reply and for the link about the service records.

Just a little confused about the next of kin. Arthur was married but had no children. I know his wife remarried but his sister, my grandmother has not had contact with her for nearly sixty years. My grandmother is still alive and would be willing to apply for the records on my behalf but does she qualify as next of kin in this case even though his wife may still be alive ?

Thanks

David

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Hi David,

in such circumstances one can only advise that you try contacting the relevant body and asking them direct. Though their searches can be slow, queries like this can often be answered quite quickly. Try phoning them.

BTW I forgot to mention that when you do apply for his records remember to ask for photocopies of the original. Otherwise they end up sending you a typed summary which many people have found to be nearly useless for any meaningful information.

5. KeeleyA

KeeleyA New Member

Thanks again for all the information, i'll contact them and see what they say.

Thanks

David

6. KeeleyA

KeeleyA New Member

I have finally obtained the service records for my great Uncle and there is quite a lot of information in the records but i am finding some of it difficult to read and understand. I would like to get an idea of what the regiments he was in were doing at different times during ww2 and what there duties may of been.

I wondered if i posted some of the information someone may be able to help me understand it better?

Thanks

David