Robert Gallie : Rugby Player

Discussion in 'Sportsmen & women' started by Dolphin, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

This is one of a series of posts to mark the international Rugby players who served in, and survived, The Great War. If anyone has further information on the men concerned, I’d be most grateful if it could be added to the thread.

Gareth

Gallie, Robert Arthur MC Croix de Guerre played for Scotland

Internationals: 8 : 1920 F+ W+ I+ E- ; 1921 F- W+ I- E-

Robert Gallie was born on January 1893

Played as a Hooker for: Glasgow Academy, Fettes College, Glasgow Academicals, Mother Country

Profession: Flour Miller

War service: Captain, Yeomanry. Croix de Guerre Gazetted 12 April 1918. MC Gazetted 31 May 1918.

Remarks: He played six matches for the Mother Country in the 1919 King’s Cup tournament. Father of George Holmes Gallie MC (1917-1944) 1 cap.

He died on 25 May 1948

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Full name - Robert Arthur Gallie
    Born - January 18, 1893
    Died - May 25 1948, Edinburgh aged 55
    Major teams - Scotland

In Memory of
    Major GEORGE HOLMES GALLIE

M C

66954, 78 Field Regt., Royal Artillery
    who died age 26
    on 16 January 1944
    Son of Robert Arthur and Frances Gallie, of Edinburgh. B.L. His brother Robert Eric also died on service.

Remembered with honour
    MINTURNO WAR CEMETERY

In Memory of
    Second Lieutenant ROBERT ERIC GALLIE

74493, 7/9th Bn., Royal Scots
    who died age 21
    on 21 May 1940
    Son of Robert Arthur and Frances Gallie, of Edinburgh. His brother George Holmes Gallie, M.C., also fell.

Remembered with honour
    BRUYELLE WAR CEMETERY

Attached Files:

3. Clarissa

Clarissa New Member

Very many thanks for all the information, R.A.Gallie was my grandfather; he died before I was born. There was a 3rd son: Alexander (Sandy) Knox Gallie, my late father, Seaforth Highlander, who was involved in the invasion of Sicily but returned home after his brother George was reported dead . He played Rugby too but not at an international level but I thought I should just add this bit of information for the record. The headstone in the Corstorphine Kirk (Edinburgh) grave yard has all the names engraved on it. Also the war memorial in Corstorphine village has my uncles names, as does the memorial in Fettes College, Edinburgh.
    Best regards.