Researching history of my dads time in 191st Herts & Essex Yeomanry Field Regiment RA

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by LJS, Nov 21, 2013.

1. LJS

LJS LJS (Karen)

Hi, at present I am trying to gather as much info about my dads regiment during WW2. My dad is 89 at present and I am recording as much info that he can give regarding his time in the 191st, where he served with 532 BHQ battery as a despatch rider/gunner. I do have some papers about the regiment that I am happy to share, but, I would love to find out more. Especially would love to be able to locate any photo's of 191st, Thanks to anyone who can be of any assistance.

2. Spencer Hall

Spencer Hall New Member

Hi LJS, my grandfather (L/Bdr. Herbert Hall) was with the 191st Field Regiment Royal Artillery & served with the 532 Battery. Unfortunately he died some years ago but I have a number of his papers & a few photo's. A great resource is the book "View from the Bridge" by David A Lamb. I have included the photo's I have & would appreciate any info. you could supply me. Many thanks.

Attached Files:

3. Spencer Hall

Spencer Hall New Member

Hi LJS, my grandfather (L/Bdr. Herbert Hall) was with the 191st Field Regiment Royal Artillery & served with the 532 Battery. Unfortunately he died some years ago but I have a number of his papers & a few photo's. A great resource is the book "View from the Bridge" by David A Lamb. I have included the photo's I have & would appreciate any info. you could supply me. Many thanks.

Attached Files:

LJS likes this.
  4. LJS

LJS LJS (Karen)

Hi Spencer, thanks for posting re your Grandfather. Very sorry to hear of your loss. I am glad to say that my father who is 90 now is still doing ok, despite some serious health issues in the last few months. I will be seeing him this tuesday and will show him your photo's and I am hoping he will recognise some people. I've only managed in recent years to really get him to talk about the War, but, he seems more comfortable talking about it these days, so I am trying to record/note as many of his memories as I can. I have been trying to source a copy of "View from the Bridge" but so far without any luck as it seems to be out of print. If you have any scanned pages from that book I would love to see them. I have managed to collect a fair amount of info about the 191st some from my Dad's own records and some from various internet sources. I am having trouble putting my files on here as they are too big to load, so I will have to look in to resizing them. For example I can only upload part of the front page of the 'bulletin' there are several pages, which do make interesting reading. Atlhough any 'horrors' of war are not in part of the extracts as that info was censored and not allowed in them. The one of my Dad was taken just before he joined the 191st, I believe he is 18 in that picture. The other pic was taken in 2011 at the National Arboretum Memorial, and one pic is of his WW2 medals and the cloth badge that was on his uniform and went through the war with him.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  5. LJS

LJS LJS (Karen)

Attached are a few more pics. The one about the 191st Herts and Essex Yeomanry being disbanded is interesting as this letter was only a week before they were disbanded. It certainly came as a shock to the men. My dad (now age 90) and even though its 70 years on is still very bitter about how they were disbanded, as he had been with the 191st from when they formed in 1942. The guys had become a 'band of brothers during those two years) and then to suddenly be split up was very upsetting for everyone and a big shock as they were expecting to get orders to move on towards Germany. My Dad was sent back to Woolwich, London.

Attached Files: