RAF - WW2 burials in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia (Lutwyche military cemetery)

Discussion in 'Memorials & Cemeteries' started by Dave Barlow, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Dave Barlow

Dave Barlow Member

Lutwyche military cemetery here in Brisbane is the CWGC official burial site and features the Cross of Sacrifice and memorial scrolls for those with no known grave. It also has plaques with a bit of Australian WW2 history and statistics on the burials within it's grounds.

While I was taking photos I noticed that besides the Australian commemorations there were a couple of members of the ROYAL AIR FORCE interred there.

I have attached photos of their headstones and a bit of info - a lot more information is available on the ozatwar website, they have devoted a bit of space to the MID AIR COLLISION OF 2 SPITFIRES NEAR PETRIE ON 19 APRIL 1944

At 8:50am on 19 April 1944, three Spitfires of 548 Squadron RAF, took off from Strathpine airfield. Two of these Spitfires had a mid air collision near the Strathpine airfield just north of Brisbane. LF.VIII Spitfire A58-392 (JG342) collided with LF.VII Spitfire A58-393 (JG350). The two British pilots Wright and Chandler were both killed.

1319672 FSGT A.V. CHANDLER (PILOT) 19APR1944 – AGE 22 (ALAN VICTOR) 548 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve

70834 SQNLDR W.H.A WRIGHT (PILOT) 19APR1944 – AGE 26 (WILLIAM HENRY ALEXANDER) R.A.F.(O). 548 Sqdn., Royal Air Force

Attached Files:

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

You've more than likely seen this Dave ... but thought I would post for others !

Spitfire Squadrons 548 & 549 Memorial