RAF training locations?

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by thorthemighty, Aug 10, 2010.

1. thorthemighty

thorthemighty New Member

Hi guys,

I recently got my great uncle’s service record and have matched up the locations where he did his pilot training both in the UK and Southern Rhodeshia. I was wondering if anybody has descriptions of the various bases at the time he was posted at them or additional information on what would have been flown at the bases. Additionally, I have found references to two locations being in hotels, 10 ITW in the Grand Hotel and 7 PRC in the Majestic Hotel. Does anybody have any additional information about or photos of either hotel?

Here are the locations (with general dates) my great uncle F.D. McGonigle was at before arriving at 101 Squadron/Ludford Magna in September 44.

10 Initial Training Wing (Scarborough, N. Yorkshire)
    August 1941 (10 Initial Training Wing was at the requisitioned Grand Hotel, Scarborough)

Initial Training Wing (Bulawayo, Southern Rhodesia)
    April and October 1942

26 Elementary Flying Training School (Guinea Fowl, Gwelo, Southern Rhodesia)
    July 1942

20 Service Flying Training School (Cranborne, Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia)
    December 1942 to July 1943

7 Personnel Reception Centre (Harrogate, Yorkshire)
    August, September, October 1943
    (The Majestic Hotel was host to hundreds of RAF non- commissioned Pilots, who with no immediate knowledge of their future roles in the RAF, were held there at what was known as No. 7 Personnel Reception Centre)

11 Elementary Flying Training School (Perth, Perthshire, Scotland)
    September 1943

Senior Non Commissioned Offices Course (Whitley Bay, Northumberland)
    October 1943

6 (Pilot) Advanced Flying Unit (Little Rissington, Gloucestershire)
    January 1944

1516 Beam/Blind Approach Training Flight (Pershore – Stratford? – , Worcestershire) (Air Historical Branch said that 1516 BAT flt was at Stratford which was a satellite of Pershore – but the only info I have found online says Pershore, can anybody clear this up?)
    March 1944

6 (Pilot) Advanced Flying Unit (Little Rissington, Gloucestershire)
    March 1944

30 Operations Training Unit (Hixon, Staffordshire)
    April 1944

11 Base and 1656 Heavy Conversion Unit (Lindholme, W/S Yorkshire)
    July to September 1944

Any assistance greatly appreciated,

Thank you in advance,

Cheers,

Thor

2. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hi Thor,

This is a huge request however someone may be able to assist with local knowledge. I have 11,200+ RAAF/RAf Australians who were killed/died during ww2 with their "Postings at Death" however these asre in name only as I collect the headstone/memorial photos.

I have not researched this area, but as I said, someone may have some old photos.

Of the 20 Aussies that are buried in Zimbabwe, these are the separate establishments they were at.

20 SFTS CRANBORNE
    21 SFTS
    22 SFTS THORNBILL
    23 SFTS
    26 EFTS GUINEA FOWL SOUTHERN RHODESIA
    27 EFTS

Just googling 26 EFTS, there is plenty on google, so some of these may have photos.
    http://www.google.com.au/search?q=2...s=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Cheers

Geoff

3. Kitty

Kitty New Member

welcome to the forum Thor.

all of your training stations were as you know part of the commonwealth flight schools, set up to deal with the sheer numbers of air crew needing to be trained during the war. They were set up when it was found the training centres in this country just could no longer cope with the numbers needed and they were beginning to impact on the operational areas of the country.

The OTU and HCU he was based at in Yorks and staffs would have seen him and his crew on multiple cross country flight runs around the north of england, across the Peak district and into wales, up to Scotland and back, day and night flying.

As to photos, have you checked out the RAF historical website for more information? Other than that your best bet on getting info on the individual airfields is to track down copies of the Airfields of..... books available online and in bookshops around the country. They are usually very thorough researched and have photos in them, usually mentioning what aircraft were flown here too.

The other thing you can do is check out aircrashes in those areas, as research usually brings up the crews, where they were flying from and too etc, and from this you can garner what aircraft were flying out of bases at any one time. As he was based in Staffs and Yorks for a little while, you can check out the Peak district Air Investigation website, but please take it with a pinch of salt as they can get their details wrong on some things. Always double check.

as to the Pershore/Stratford confusion, it is normal for a large airfield to have satellite airfields within a 6 mile radius of it, which whilst they have their own name, would still be listed under the parent airfield. This became common as more and more strips/facilities were needed on short notice. some of these satellite airfields had all the crew quarters in tents, and as such after the war they just vanished as grass strips turned back to fields and no buildings were ever constructed.

for photos of the airfields as they are now, try this forum, I can't say if it is any good as I have yet to have time to sit down and go through it.

For info on the hotels, your best bet is to contact the local history societies in tose areas and dig a bit in the local papers. The hotels themselves may have some info available.

4. thorthemighty

thorthemighty New Member

Hello Geoff/Kitty,

thanks for the replies. I'll try your suggestions!
    Even if someone knows about a couple of the places it would certainly be helpful!....especially if anybody can enlighten me as to what the "Senior NCOs Course" at Whiltley Bay was or entailed? As far as I can tell there weren't any a/c there post-ww1....

cheers,

Thor

5. Kitty

Kitty New Member

it was quite possibly training in rules and regs, what was expected of them as a senior NCO, mostly as pilots or senior gunners etc.

6. thorthemighty

thorthemighty New Member

oh right....thanks again kitty! :D

7. Oggie2620

Oggie2620 New Member

Thor
    You might like to try the RAF Museum website (they have a research requests bit) and the Air Historical Branch....
    Dee

8. thorthemighty

thorthemighty New Member

Hi Dee,

Thanks for the reply. The air historical branch said they can't be of any more help unfortunately...but i will try the RAF museum...could be fruitful..Much appreciated!

cheers,

Thor