RAF deaths in Australia

Discussion in 'Memorials & Cemeteries' started by spidge, Jan 3, 2008.

1. spidge

spidge Active Member

I have a query on two RAF graves I came across in the small war cemetery in Benalla Victoria a couple of days ago. Both were 516sq RAF.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Name: SILLITO, EDWARD BRIAN
    Initials: E B
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
    Unit Text: 516 Sqdn.
    Date of Death: 19/06/1945
    Service No: 129592
    Awards: D F C
    Additional information: Son of Roland and Annie Sillito, of Ashley Heath, Staffordshire.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Plot C. Row B. Grave 3.
    Cemetery: BENALLA WAR CEMETERY

Name: BELL, ERNEST GEORGE Initials: E G
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force
    Unit Text: 516 Sqdn.
    Date of Death: 19/06/1945
    Service No: 54293
    Additional information: Son of Augustus Robert and Florence May Bell; husband of Joyce Mary Bell, of Brewood, Staffordshire, England.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Plot C. Row B. Grave 1.
    Cemetery: BENALLA WAR CEMETERY

View attachment 1165

View attachment 1166

View attachment 1167

View attachment 1169

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Just an additional note. Both Bell and Sillito were 618 Squadron (the Mosquito unit were meant to use the bouncing bomb), and so the squadron given is incorrect. It maybe that when the CWGC list was being compiled the squadron was still seen as secret. 516 Squadron had been disbanded a year earlier and had never flown Mosquitos anyway.

The aircraft was one of the non-bouncing bomb Mosquitos that had been shipped to Australia to act as a recon craft for the squadron.

A number of sites seemt o give the date and crew NS735 as 2nd May 1945 and the crew being F/Lt Rochford and LAC Doybell. In fact this aircraft was HR576.

4. spidge

spidge Active Member

Very detailed Kyt.

Thanks for the info. Again I didn't think to look in NAA files for the RAF info.

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Always worth looking for any RAF causalties killed on Australian soil. I've also had a look at the Board of Inquiry report on the crash but no reason could be found, except the possibility of poor visibility as the cloud level was down to 500 feet.

6. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Very nice work, Kyt.

7. spidge

spidge Active Member

One report seemed to say that the resultant crash was a vertical dive as the wreckage was 6ft into the ground.

8. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Disorientated in cloud perhaps?

9. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi Spidge,

Do you need any RAAF casualties from Luton, Hertfordshire? I have just found a folder i did sometime ago in my pics folder which does have some Aussie RAAF casualties but not sure if you have them. Happy to send them to you if you want them.

Mike (Sniper) :peep:

10. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hi Mike,

My figures only give me one in Hertfordshire at Watford Cemetery which I do not have.

As far as Luton is concerned, my two "Luton" requirements are in Bedfordshire.

If you have some in Hertfordshire it would be great. They may be 1946 or 47 which I do not have on my list.

Cheers

Geoff

11. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hi Mike,

My figures only give me one in Hertfordshire at Watford Cemetery which I do not have.

As far as Luton is concerned, my two "Luton" requirements are in Bedfordshire.

If you have some in Hertfordshire it would be great. They may be 1946 or 47 which I do not have on my list.

Cheers

Geoff