Pte Frank Stringer 39023 1st South Lancs Quetta, India 1918

Discussion in 'Looking for someone' started by HeatherS, Dec 5, 2010.

1. HeatherS

HeatherS New Member

Hi, this is my first post on this forum so Hello to everyone.

I have several letters written to my Grandfather by a Pte Frank Stringer 39023 who was with 1st South Lancs in Quetta, India during the 1WW.
    The letters contain details of the celebrations/parades for the end of the war and details of life out in the hill station towards the end of the war. They are quite fascinating and I am interested to find out more about his war record and the 1st Lancs time in Quetta.
    I'm sure there are members who would be interested in the details of the letters.

Frank and my grandfather were very close "pals" - he was my grandfather's best man after the war.

Thanks, Heather

2. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi Heather,

Welcome to the forum and i hope that we will be able to help you in your quest to find out more about the 1st Lancs in Quetta. Indeed i am sure there are members who would be interested in the details of the letters so please do post them up on the forum if you can. If his military records survived the blitz of WW2 then they will will available at Kew. The 1st South Lancashires in Quetta during the war. They were under orders of the 2nd Quetta (11th) Brigade.

Try the link, it may give you some interesting reading and photos to add to your research. The Battalion went to India in August 1914 and remained there for the duration of the war.

2nd Quetta (11th) Brigade.

1st Garrison Bn Norfolk Regt. Apr 1917 - Mar 1918. To the Poona Division.
    2/4th Bn Hampshire Regt. Jan 1915 - Apr 1917. To the 75th (British) Division.
    1st Bn South Lancashire Regt. 04 Aug 1914 - 11 Nov 1918.
    2nd Bn Royal Irish Fusiliers. 04 Aug 1914 - Sep 1914. To the 27th (British) Division.

Sniper

3. HeatherS

HeatherS New Member

Hi, thanks for the info Sniper. Where do I find the link please?

I haven't had chance to get back to this for a while but thought I'd add part of one of the letters.

Letter dated Nov 18th 1918 from Pte Frank Stringer 39023 1st South Lancs, Quetta, India.

I note this is a week after they officially left (see above).

In the letter he talks about the arguements about who is to go home first.

Frank had had Influenza and was recovering which is why he was a spectator.

There was a special parade held last Thursday to commemorate the allied victory, in which the whole division paraded. I took the role of spectator during these proceedings, a much pleasanter one I should say than that of those taking part.

The division first lined up while the General made a speech then the artillery fired about 100 shots as a salute, and the general called for three cheers. All this time the troops were standing at the slope with fixed bayonets so you can understand why I preferred to stand easy and watch the ceremony.

To wind up there was the usual march past, the cavalry leading and they were a fine sight as they went past in dead straight lines with lances or swords upright in their hands.

Then followed the Motor Machine Gunners, rather a novelty in a March Past. Other units followed and the infantry brought up the rear the Lancs just managing to pull themselves together as they approached the saluting post in their true cushy style.

Altogether it was a most impressive spectacle though I would rather have viewed it in a suit of civvies somewhere near home.

Hope this is of interest to someone.

Heather