Poplar and Stepney Sick Asylum

Discussion in 'Memorials & Cemeteries' started by liverpool annie, Jan 28, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

I always seem to find things looking for something else ....... I wonder if anybody has ever researched them ?? .......

'The Poplar and Stepney Sick Aslylum plaque was located in St Andrew's Hospital. It has been relocated to a new site in Newham General Hospital, in St Andrew's Wing. The plaque records the names of officers of the Asylum who lost their lives in the Great War. It is a constructed of marble, the centeral inscribed panel is white with the border in green.

To the memory of
    the Officers of this institution who lost
    their lives while serving with the Imperial
    Forces during the Great War of 1914-1919.

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Those recorded are:

Nellie Clarke Nurse Serbian Nursing Service
    Herbert Charles Frost Lodge Porter Kings Royal Rifle Corps
    Frank Hatley Labourer Middlesex Regiment
    Helen Charlotte Hetterley Nurse Queen Alexandra's Nursing Service
    Albert Evelyn Fairfax Kynaston Assistant Medical Officer H.M.S.Devonshire
    William Spring Stoker East Surrey Regiment
    Kate Rosina Sturt Nurse Queen Alexandra's Nursing Service

Attached Files:

2. liverpool annie

Albert Evelyn Fairfax Kynaston Assistant Medical Officer H.M.S.Devonshire is also included on the Guy's Hospital War Memorial

GUY'S HOSPITAL WAR MEMORIAL.

The Arch and Columnar Screen are the design of Mr. William J. Walford, F.R.I.B.A., the Hospital Architect, and have been carried out in solid stone from the Island, of Portland. The old columns taken down from the Museum Building, which used to stand in the Park, have by consent of the Governors been incorporated in the design. The Memorial is 66 feet in width and the central Arch measures 21 feet 3 inches from the ground to the top of the cornice. Upon the central Arch are inscribed the names of the men who lost their lives, with the motto across the Arch ''THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE." Across the outside of the Arch is the inscription,
    "ERECTED BY THE FRIENDS OF THE GUY'S MEN WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR, 1914 - 1919," and the Hospital Crest has been carved upon the Arch.

It was thought that the Archway might form the actual entrance gateway from Great Maze Pond, but lack of funds has prevented the requisite new wrought iron gates and enclosure.
    The work has been executed by the Hospital Works Department.

The following are the names inscribed upon the Central Arch ..... including

Kynaston, Albert E. F.

The Unveiling of the War Memorial July 15th 1921.

The Prince of Wales, President of the Hospital, had arranged to unveil the Memorial on July 15th, but owing to his indisposition the ceremony was performed by the Duke of York - His Royal Highness was received in the Court Room by the Treasurer, Viscount Goschen, supported by the Governors of the Hospital and the Staff of the Hospital and Medical School, and, after certain presentations had been made, was conducted to a platform near the Memorial Arch and the stand reserved for the relatives of the Guy's men who had lost their lives during the War

KYNASTON, ALBERT EVELYN FAIRFAX, Surg., R.N., H.M.S. Devonshire. Entered 1898, qualified L.R.C.P., M.R.C.S., 1904. Died of enteric.

In Memory of
    Surgeon A E F KYNASTON

H.M.S. "Devonshire.", Royal Navy
    who died
    on 13 October 1914

Remembered with honour
    CROMARTY CEMETERY

Obituary.

In the first week of the war he joined the Royal Naval Reserve, and was sent to H.M.S. Devonshire. His end was like his life, he was taken ill, pooh-poohed it, and went on till the fourth week of an attack of enteric - pneumonia compelled him to go into hospital and he died, aged 33, on the 13th October 1914

[Reprinted from The Guy's Hospital Gazette. July 27th, 1918.]

http://www.archive.org/stream/reportsg70guysuoft/reportsg70guysuoft_djvu.txt

3. liverpool annie

Nellie Clarke Nurse Serbian Nursing Service

I found this on Nellie ....

SERBIAN RELIEF FUND.

The Serbian Relief Fund, 22, Bereers Street, W., of which Sir Edward Boyle is Hon. Treasurer are despatching onThursday morning, October ( ? ) by the S.S. Dongola, from Southampton, the second unit sent from this country to the aid of wounded Serbians

the following are the Nursing Sisters

Miss Dorothy Grierson- Jackson, Jennie Sibley, Charlotte E. Heinrich, Edith J. M. Bowers, Nellie Clark, Elizabeth M. Campbell, Helen M. Coleman, Blanche Madden, Mary G. C. Heathcote, Agnes M. Macqueen, Alice Pell, Jean C. G. Donald, Marianne Elizabeth Hall, Gertrude Smith, Florence E. Burman, and Mme. Pavlovitch. The Dispenser is Miss Skey, and there are in all six ward maids, four dressers, fourteen orderlies, an assistant baggage master, and a cook, so that the unit will be very complete.

The entire equipment for a hospital of 250 beds has already been despatched.

The party is going to Nish, where, with the approval of the Serbian Government, they have given a private house for conversion into a hospital for the Serbian wounded.

4. liverpool annie

Kate Rosina Sturt Nurse Queen Alexandra's Nursing Service

I'm not sure what this is .... but she's mentioned .:rolleyes: ... looks like she was working with the French Red Cross !!

England
    Sturt
    Kate Rosina
    Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service

http://www.rootschat.com/links/05ev/

In Memory of
    Staff Nurse KATE ROSINA STURT

2/ResS/101, Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service
    who died age 28
    on 13 December 1916
    Daughter of William and Kate Jane Sturt, of 50, Hampton Rd., Forest Gate, London.

Remembered with honour
    BROOKWOOD CEMETERY

EDIT .... I found Kate at TNA ...

Piece details WO 399/8079
    WO 399 War Office: Directorate of Army Medical Services and Territorial Force: Nursing Service Records, First World War
    Subseries within WO 399 QUEEN ALEXANDRA’S IMPERIAL MILITARY NURSING SERVICE

STURT Kate
    Covering dates 01/01/1914 - 31/12/1920
    Availability Open Document, Open Description, Normal Closure before FOI Act: 30 years
    Held by
    The National Archives, Kew

5. scrimnet

scrimnet New Member

6. liverpool annie

Helen Charlotte Hetterley

And I found Helen at TNA ...

Piece details WO 399/3788

Subseries within WO 399 QUEEN ALEXANDRA’S IMPERIAL MILITARY NURSING SERVICE
    HETTERLEY Helen
    Covering dates 01/01/1914 - 31/12/1920
    Availability Open Document, Open Description, Normal Closure before FOI Act: 30 years
    Held by
    The National Archives, Kew

Still looking ....... :)

EDIT .... and as it's not a common name ... I think maybe this might be her ....

Helen Charlotte Hetterley was born in 1891 in Oakham, Rutland, England. Helen was counted in a census in 1901 in Penn St., Oakham, Rutland, England

Daughter of George Hetterley born in 1857 in Manton, Rutland, England. George was counted in a census in 1861 in Poor Cottage, Manton, Rutland, England. He was counted in a census in 1871 in Brick Yard, Manton, Rutland, England. He was counted in a census in 1881 in Market Place School House, Oakham Lords Hold, R, England. He was counted in a census in 1891 in Rutland Terrace, Oakham Lords Hold, Rutland, England. He was counted in a census in 1901 in Penn St., Oakham, Rutland, England. He was employed as a Butler.

George married Elizabeth. Elizabeth was born in 1864 in Melbourne, Derby, England. Elizabeth was counted in a census in 1891 in Rutland Terrace, Oakham Lords Hold, Rutland, England. She was counted in a census in 1901 in Penn St., Oakham, Rutland, England.

7. liverpool annie

William Spring

In Memory of
    Private W SPRING

48957, 1st Bn., East Surrey Regiment
    who died age 38
    on 31 January 1919
    Husband of Mrs. W. Spring, of 9, James St., Bush Hill Park, Enfield.

Remembered with honour
    ENFIELD (HERTFORD ROAD) CEMETERY

8. liverpool annie

Herbert Charles Frost

I'm not sure about Herbert ... which one is the right one !

FROST, HERBERT
    Private
    08/11/1917
    London Regiment
    United Kingdom
    Panel 150 to 153.
    TYNE COT MEMORIAL

FROST, H C
    Rifleman
    01/11/1918
    Rifle Brigade
    United Kingdom
    C. 17.
    PRESEAU COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

9. liverpool annie

Frank Hatley

And Frank is interesting to me ...... buried in Manchester !!

In Memory of
    Private FRANK HATLEY

551, 3rd Bn., Middlesex Regiment
    who died age 43
    on 20 March 1915
    Born at Cambridge. Son of Thomas and Elizabeth Hatley; husband of Mrs. E. M. Hatley, of 39, Haverley St., Bow, London.

Remembered with honour
    MANCHESTER SOUTHERN CEMETERY

10. Nedrutland

Nedrutland New Member

"HETTERLEY, Sister Helen, daughter of Mr & Mrs George Hetterley of 31 Penn Street, Oakham was born May 4th 1891. Two years before the war she became hospital nurse, and when the war began was stationed at the Military Hospital, Canterbury. In the execution of her duties she contracted tuberculosis and was sent by the Rutland County Council to the Devon & Didsworthy Sanatorium. Unfortunately the disease had obtained too great hold, and after three months, it was clear that nothing could save her. She, therefore returned home, where she died May 30th 1917 and was buried in Oakham Cemetery. Age 30." Rutland & the Great War (published 1920)

I can supply a photo of her grave in Oakham Cemetery

11. liverpool annie

Hi Ned and welcome ! :)

Thank you for that ! ... are you a relative ? ... I'm not I'm afraid .... but I was interested in the memorial and thought I would try and find the "brave ones" on there .... I'm sorry Helen died the way she did .... TB was a terrible thing in those days before the medications were found to suppress it !

I have her on CWGC .. I believe she was only 26 .... too young ... way too young !

In Memory of
    Staff Nurse HELEN HETTERLEY

Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service
    who died age 26
    on 30 May 1917
    Daughter of George and Elizabeth Hetterley, of Station Rd., Oakham.

Remembered with honour
    OAKHAM CEMETERY

I'd very much like to see a picture of the headstone .... and anything else you'd like to share with us !

Annie :)