Phil Waller - Talented Rugby Player

Discussion in 'Sportsmen & women' started by liverpool annie, Jun 7, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Phil Waller won six Welsh caps and three for the 1910 British Lions in South Africa. After the Lions tour he settled in South Africa and enlisted in the South African Heavy Artillery Regiment. He rose to the rank of 2nd Lieutenant and was killed by shellfire in Arras on 14 December, 1917, aged 28.

Born in Bath - attended Carmarthen Intermediate School. Won 6 Welsh caps 1908-1910. British Lion 1910 SA - one of 7 Newport men making trip. Played all 3 tests and stayed to play for Johannesburg. Enlisted in South Africa Artillery regiment. 2nd Lieut - killed by shellfire at Arras, Somme, Northern France 14 Dec 1917 – buried at Red Cross Corner Cemetery, Beugny, Nr Arras.

In Memory of
    Lieutenant PHILIP DUDLEY WALLER

71st Siege Bty., South African Heavy Artillery
    who died age 28
    on 14 December 1917
    Son of Mr. A. P. and Mrs. E. E. Waller, of 4, Glebe Terrace, Alloa, Scotland.

Remembered with honour
    RED CROSS CORNER CEMETERY, BEUGNY

2. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Waller, Phillip Dudley played for Wales and Great Britain

Internationals: 6 : 1908 A+ ; 1909 E+ S+ F+ I+ ; 1910 F+ ;

Great Britain Internationals: 3 : 1910 SA- SA+ SA-

Phillip Waller was born on 28 January 1889 in Bath, son of Mr A P and Mrs E E Waller.

Played as a Forward for: Newport, Somerset

Profession: Engineer

Remarks: He made 70 appearances for Newport from 1908 to 1910, and played for Somerset (0-8) and Newport (3-5) v the 1908-1909 Wallabies. Stayed in South Africa after Great Britain tour. In March 1916 he played in a South African Heavy Artillery team against a New Zealand Army team at the Queen’s Club London. The SA team won 7-0 thanks to a dropped goal and try by former England International Reginald Hands, their captain.

War service: Lieutenant, 71st (Transvaal) Siege Battery, South African Heavy Artillery.

He was killed in action on 14 December 1917 at Arras, and is buried in Red Cross Corner Cemetery, Beugny, Pas de Calais, France [Grave I. F. 14.].

Attached Files:

3. Carl Hoehler

Carl Hoehler New Member

Phil Waller was killed in the same explosion as Nugent Fitzpatrick.

Here is an image of the SAHA Howitzer Memorial at the Johannesburg Zoo. This is one of six memorials and could be regarded as that of the 71st (SA) Siege Battery.

Attached Files:

4. liverpool annie

Thank you Carl and welcome to you !! :)

Do you have an interest in the 71st (SA) Siege Battery ? ( silly question ... seems to me you do !! :) ) did you take the picture ??

Annie :)

5. Carl Hoehler

Carl Hoehler New Member

Thank you Annie

I am interested in the Heavy Artillery in GSWA and the SAHA in France and Belgium and have copies of most of the original source documents.

The picture of the Johannesburg howitzer was taken by Frank Louw who together with AJ Brooks had undertaken the restoration in early 2008. These images is are of the Johannesburg, Kimberley (left and right) (72nd) and Capetown (73rd) plaques and which are the only known to have survived. I took the Johannesburg image while the others came from the late Colyn Brookes.

I have other images of the SAHA Howitzer Memorials which I will post in a new thread.

Attached Files:

6. liverpool annie

Thank you so much for posting those Carl ! :)

My interest in South Africa is mostly in the Boer War - I look forward to learning more from you !

Annie :)

7. Carl Hoehler

Carl Hoehler New Member

I only have a rudimentary knowledge of the ABW apart from an interest in the use of the naval guns some of which were used in GSWA, for training of the SAHA in England and at Gallipoli and possibly even in Salonika.

Spies' "Methods of barbarism" has been re-ssued as a very reasonably priced hardback.

Attached Files: