One for K !

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by liverpool annie, Nov 1, 2008.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Lt Shri Krishna Welinkar, 23 Sqn. From Bombay aged 23. shot down 27 June 1918 in Dolphin D3691 by Fritz Rumey and DoW 30 June 1918 Buried Hargard, France.

Fritz Rumey - The Aerodrome - Aces and Aircraft of World War I

Name: WELINKAR, SHRI KRISHNA CHANDA
    Initials: S K C
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force
    Unit Text: 23rd Sqdn.
    Date of Death: 30/06/1918
    Additional information: Son of Mrs. Lakshmibai B. Welinkar, of Ridge Rd., Shri Krishna Niwas, Bombay, India.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: III. J. 1.
    Cemetery: HANGARD COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

2. liverpool annie

Lt. Shrikrishna Chanda Welingkar, was a brave man who sustained wounds in action on June 27, 1918 and died three days later on June 30, 1918. During his service, he was awarded the Military Cross. His death in action is commemorated at the Hangard Communal Cemetery Extension, at Somme, France.

Welcome to the Abhijit Air Safety Foundation

I just realised ... you know all about him !! ... sorry !!

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Thanks Annie. Interingly the second gets both his surname spelt wrong ANF credits him with an MC that he never received!!

4. liverpool annie

I saw the spelling ... but didn't realise about the MC !!!!!!!!!

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Not the only one who can't spell :frusty: I really must proof read by posts before submitting :peep:

6. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Kyt whatever happened to your Major Pujji?

7. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Sq/L Pujji is still lurking around Nana :) He may make an appearance soon

8. stokiebarker

stokiebarker Guest

I'm very excited about seeing this. Mr Welingkar was my father-in-law's uncle! I was looking for some information and found this site realy useful.
    I have to admit that my knowledge on investigating his records is very limited.

To find out how he died is sad but still of great interest.

Does anyone know how to see his air force personnel papers (I don't know what you call these). Also how did he receive his Military cross.

He apparently came over to the UK initially to study at Cambridge university hence why he was in England at that time.

regards,

Alan

9. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Welcome aboard, stokie. Good to see you're off to a good start here.

10. spidge

spidge Active Member

Welcome to the forum Stokie.

11. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I have not been able to track down his service records. However, the main site that is digitising all available WW1 records haven't finished yet, and are so haven't reached the letter W. However, there is no guarantee that they will be available because only 30 or so percent of all WW1 records survived the Blitz in 1940.

British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920 - Ancestry.co.uk

He never received the Military Cross. There is no evidence of it in either his CWGC entry nor in the London Gazette. The link in the post #2 is rather erroneous.

12. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

London Gazette
    Date: 25 March 1921
    Issue number: 32270
    Page number: 2436

13. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Royal Air Force AIR POWER REVIEW

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/BC18F893_1143_EC82_2E16AC19F19FE2D2.pdf

An excellent article on Indians and the RFC/RAF. The following is a section relevant to this thread

14. liverpool annie

Thought this maybe of interest ....

The Hindu Business Line : Flying high

EDIT ...... I meant to say K ... that that is a very informative piece and actually gives good details on Errol Suvo Chunder Sen .... (you probably already have the book in my post ... but just in case anybody else wants it !! )