O.K. you computer geeks.........

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by David Layne, Nov 4, 2008.

1. David Layne

David Layne Active Member

I have Microsoft XL and use Micosoft Outlook for my e mails.

I cannot make my keyboard print the pound sterling sign when I am doing e mail correspondence or typing on the internet.

Before my big computer crash I had an icon on my toolbar that enabled me to have one click access to the pound sterling sign. How do I restore this?

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Didn't know you could do that, DL, but doesn't surprise me. I use "quid" instead!

3. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

Hmm... must be a glitch of some kind. I don't know if American keyboards are different to ours, whether £ and $ symbols have similar priorities. Just tried this on mine on Outlook and it worked.

To get the Euro sign I have to hold the ALT GR key and the relevant symbol - you could try this with your £ symbol

4. Antipodean Andy

Trust something to do with the EC to be more complicated than it should be...:lol:

5. 51highland

51highland Member

Wanna borrow one of mine £.

6. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

In Excel you can go to Insert > Symbol

However, if you want to use the £ a lot then the best thing to do is change your input language from US English to UK English (which you should be able to do with most Microsoft approved keyboards). A few of the keys will change around as shown below

[​IMG]

To change the language:

Start>Control Panel>Regional and Language Options
    Regional Options Tab> change to English (United Kingdom)
    Languages Tab> Click on Details button
    Change the pull down menu to English (United Kingdom)
    In the box below click on Add and add English (United Kingdom)
    Click Apply, and then OK

You may need to restart the computer

7. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Hi David
    If you don't want to make the permanent change you can expand what Adrian has suggested.
    Create a new email in Outlook to test the keyboard keys. Holding the ALT key whilst you press individual keys on the alpha side (or combinations on the numeric pad is a way of accessing the symbols available using the Insert Symbol function in other parts of the system.
    For example ALT 160 gives á, and ALT 162 ó. I've just found out that ALT S makes the post before you have finished!!!!

8. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Ah, well done nana, I'd forgotten about the ASCI codes. Here's a list:

Windows Alt Key Codes

the £ is ALT 0163

9. 51highland

51highland Member

Thanks for that link Kyt. Live and learn.

10. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Should thank Nana - as usual I went for the complicated answer when an easier one was staring me in the face :peep:

11. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

ASCI..... for the life of me I couldn't remember what they were called so I couldn't even google to find out what the correct one was!!!!

12. 51highland

51highland Member

Thanks Nana, and I think you are correct, I am too old to be on a computer, its blurred.

13. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Me too!!!!!

14. Antipodean Andy

Geeks - the lot of you.

15. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Aye, but they are good. Is there anything that cannot be answered on here :).

How are you all on Greek Mythology?
    Regards
    Hugh

16. Antipodean Andy

Depends on what the question is, Hugh. The Adventures of Hercules or Xena: Warrior Princess? :lol:

Seriously, I think Greek mythology is what got me into this general history lark in the first place.

17. Hugh

Hugh New Member

I knew it there is nothing that cannot be answered on here. :) I won't test you - I enjoy history, but Greek mythology would show me up.
    Regards
    Hugh

18. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Afraid it's all latin to me

19. Antipodean Andy

20. David Layne

David Layne Active Member

££

Quids in now!

The old "Alt 0163" worked wonders. Thanks.