Noyelles-sur-Mer Chinese Memorial

Discussion in 'Memorials & Cemeteries' started by liverpool annie, Apr 29, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

In a sleepy village on Somme estuary in northern France, a small First World War cemetery pays homage to the memory of the men of the Chinese Labour Corps, whose contribution to the Allied war effort has largely been forgotten by history.

Looking out onto the flat meadows and dense woods of the Somme, it is easy to miss the subtle scars of the land – long crevices of trench lines and huge craters camouflaged by young woodland – that bear witness to the horrific scenes of nearly a century ago.

This part of France has no shortage of war cemeteries, where endless columns of perfectly aligned gravestones stretch as far as the eye can see and stately cenotaphs bear witness to the colossal human cost of the Great War. The locations of British cemeteries mark the shifting allied frontline during 1916, when the farmyards and forests of the Somme were transformed into the bloodiest ....

This man was remembered on another site on my son's birthday ! ........ RIP CHAO TE HSLANG

Name: CHAO TE HSLANG
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment: Chinese Labour Corps
    Date of Death: 21/03/1918
    Service No: 50010
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: I. C. 18.
    Cemetery: NOYELLES-SUR-MER CHINESE CEMETERY

Noyelles-Sur-Mer was the base depot of the Chinese Labour Corps in France, the site of their largest camp and of No 3 Labour (originally the Chinese) General Hospital. The Chinese Labour Corps was the outcome of an agreement made between the United Kingdom and Chinese Governments on 30 December 1916, for the employment of Chinese labour in France. The men were recruited in north China and the first contingent arrived in France in April 1917. By the end of 1917, 54,000 were in France and Belgium. At the Armistice the Corps numbered nearly 96,000 and even in May 1919, 80,000 were at work. Nearly 2,000 died during the war and when the cemeteries were constructed after the war was over, the headstones for these men were engraved in Chinese characters by a selected group of their comrades.

http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/great-war-people/miltary-justice/874-forgotten-hands.html

Noyelles-sur-Mer Chinese Memorial, commemorating 41 men of the Corps who died on land or at sea and whose graves are not known.

Attached Files:

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

In case anybody is interested ...... heres some more information about the Chinese Labour Corps

Leslie Graham

http://www.greatwardifferent.com/Great_War/Chinese_Laborers/Chinese_Laborers_01.htm

3. sniper

sniper Active Member

I have this cemetery covered for the Commonwealth Roll of Honour Project so if anyone wishes a photo of any of the casualties headstones please let me know.

Sniper