Nazi U-boat found in Canadian river

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by vashstampede, Sep 8, 2012.

1. vashstampede

vashstampede Active Member

A Nazi German U-boat about 18 metres deep in the Churchill River in Labrador, were taken in 2010 during a search for three people who had drowned. It is the furthest inland U-boat ever found, which was over 100km from the coast.

German U-boats were known to roam off Canada's east coast during the Second World War, destroying a passenger ferry between Newfoundland and Cape Breton Island and 23 Allied cargo vessels and warships in the Saint Lawrence River.

There are also other Nazi stuff being found.
    There was a secret Nazi weather station in remote part of Labrador, and it was only discovered in 1980s.

I also remember watching a movie a long time ago, it was about a hunt for a U-boat by the Russians. Not sure how true the story was, but it talked about a U-Boat was assigned a secret mission to go pick up someone in Berlin near the very end of WWII, but it was blocked in the river when the Russians sank two boats at the narrow part of the river. It failed to compete its mission but somehow it escaped and was never found in the supposedly blocked river section.
    A few years after WWII had ended, the Russians discovered a secret underwater U-Boat base off a remote island (or a rather small rock). It was only discovered when the Russians saw someone in diving suit near the island. The guy was never caught, but the Russians found the underwater entrance of the base when pursuing him. There was nobody in the base when the Russians entered, but there were tons of supplies and some tape records of the U-boat captain. Including some tapes which were supposedly recorded after the war. On one of the tapes, the captain said he did not lose his war as far as he is concerned. The particular U-boat was never found... I mean never.
    (the above story gave the hint the "someone" that U-boat was going to pick up from Berlin was Hilter himself, but since the boat never arrived, Hilter killed himself).

German authority had said there were total 18 U-boats unaccounted for.
    Anyway, every time when something like this come up, I feel a chill in the back of my neck lol.

Do you have any similar stories to share?

2. pilot2fly

pilot2fly Member

We had many U-Boats off the NC coast in WWII. They were predominantly found off the Outer Banks and Wilmington. We have three U-Boat wrecks and divers are allowed to dive on them. They're actually in pretty good condition for being in salt water for over 60 years.

3. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

Are there any photographs of it yet?

4. vashstampede

vashstampede Active Member

Are those U-boats still down there?
    I wouldn't be surprised someone would try to get them as soon as they were found. It's museum worthy material, in fact they can worth a fortune. :)

Which one are you talking about? The ones mentioned by pilot2fly or by me?
    I am sure there are photos out there for the one in my post.

5. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

The one in the Churchill River. I haven't seen photos of that yet.

6. pilot2fly

pilot2fly Member

Vash, yes they are still down there. They are popular diving sites and are considered war memorials. Luckily they haven't been stripped and they're in good condition. The locations are known to divers, and they are really popular for advanced divers.