Military deaths in UK

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by newmarket, Nov 16, 2011.

1. newmarket

newmarket New Member

How would one even start to find out about Servicemen killed in a bombing raid. Newmarket High Street was hit 18th February 1941. 20 civilian casualties are well recorded, but there is no trace of the Servicemen who were killed, nor even an accurate record of how many. Since their deaths do not appear to be registered in Newmarket, one has to assume that was done by the Orderly Room where ever they were based. There was an Army conference taking place in the Memorial Hall on the High Street and it is likely the drivers would have been refreshing themselves in various hostelries. It seems definite that at least 2 were killed in the White Hart. Problem is, who were they and where do I start looking. No one even knows what the conference was about since censorship was of course enforced.
    Thanks in advance for any tips

2. Kitty

Kitty New Member

welcome to the forum Newmarket. Sniper says he will be in touch with you at the start of next week with some help. Afraid we have to head home this weekend to do some last minute organisation for our wedding, but after that he'll start going through his records etc.

Kind regards

Kitty & Sniper

3. newmarket

newmarket New Member

Thanks Kitty, look forward to that
    Tony

4. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi Tony,

Can you tell me what county Newmarket is in. I have some records which may help though i can't be sure at the moment until i have that bit of info.

Sniper

5. 51highland

51highland Member

Newmarket is in Suffolk.

6. newmarket

newmarket New Member

Not always simple as we sit across a County border. pre WW2 we were always Cambridgshire, but most since then accepted that we are Suffolk.

7. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi Newmarket,

I have looked in the records of the local cemetery but there is only one death listed for around that date which is a month later. The name is Rifleman Plant who died 28th March 1941. He came from Kent so possibly died from injuries after the bombing. To check this out you need to find his burial records. I'm wondering if there would be records of this event in the county record office.

Sniper

8. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Local newspaper archives are the only real chance to get names, IF they were listed due to secrecy and keeping up the morale of the locals.

9. kenmorrison

kenmorrison Member

Geoff's WW2 Search engine at Geoff's 1939-47 Search Engine is still working and allows you to search the CWGC Register. On 18/2/1941 there were 249 deaths with the vast majority being Merchant Navy and Civilian. There are some Army deaths but most seem to be due to the Eritrean Campaign. There are a few who are buried in the UK but there's no way to tell if they were killed at Newmarket. So not much help but a place to consider looking.

10. newmarket

newmarket New Member

Thanks to all for hints.. I have used Geoffs search engine and got a list of possibles..so far only postiviely eliminated a few. Not having the deaths registered locally of course make live much harder. Have found more about Rifleman PLANT, he was run over by a bren gun carrier locally, died same day. That took yet another death certificate copy to find out . Not a route I can afford to take unless there is a decent chance of success given the numbe rof possibles and the few actual victims.

11. kenmorrison

kenmorrison Member

I've been thinking about your search - just a question are you sure that any military casualties were not registered locally???
    The only similar case that I'm familiar with was that of 30 men of "A" Company 6th KOSB who were killed by a parachute mine which fell on their billet in the village of Theydon Bois near Epping on 18 November 1940. Their deaths were registered at Epping. See the memorial at The Scottish War Memorials Project :: View topic - Theydon Bois, KOSB WW2

I've had a quick look at deaths registered in Newmarket in the December Quarter 1941, on FreeBMD, but those few that I have checked (who were of an appropriate age) were mainly RAF and died on a different date. There was at least one airbase at Newmarket.
    Still I'd be surprised if any deaths of military personnel resulting from this raid were not registered with the civil authority.