Medal search

Discussion in 'World War 1' started by hog, Feb 16, 2013.

1. hog

hog New Member

Gents.
    I am trying to locate the medals awarded to my Great Uncle for his service during WW1.
    The medals are.
    The 1914 Star
    The War Medal
    The Victory Medal.
    He is on my Grandmas side of the family and the family does not know where or what happened to the medals in question.
    Perhaps someone has them in a private collection ? They may have been sold privately or at a car boot sale...who knows.
    Thanking all in advance for any info.

Lance Corpral John Bartholemew
    Service # 3656
    Kings Own (Royal Lancaster Reg )
    KIA 12-03- 1915 Ypress.

2. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

Do you mean pictures of them, like this one of the 1914 star?
    1914StarObv.png

3. Peter T Davis

Or do you mean where his actual medals that he was personally given?

4. hog

hog New Member

Yes the actual medals he was given.

5. Peter T Davis

That's certainly an interesting quest, and hopefully not as difficult a quest as the one for the Holy Grail. Some of these did get inscribed, so I wouldn't put it as impossible. You do see some coming up for sale regularly, for example here's a similar set on Ebay, which includes the name of the recipient of the medals. You can setup notifications on sites like Ebay, which will send you an email if something matching the keywords you use comes up for auction. You might also want to check locally, if there are any shops in the area he lived that specialize in militaria, or any well known collectors that had connections to him.

6. hog

hog New Member

Thanks for the information , will do that and see what comes up, meanwhile if any members could keep their eye out for me, or in fact check their own collection it would be great.