Meant to post this for Anzac Day yesterday!

Discussion in 'World War 1' started by spidge, Apr 26, 2009.

1. spidge

spidge Active Member

Captain Albert Jacka (VC) (MC*)

The History Channel in Australia has been showing a documentary "For Valour" depicting the 96 Australian VC winners.

Among those is the first Commonwealth soldier to be the recipient of a VC in the Great War.

It proves that even the courageous are not allowed to ruffle feathers.

From: HELLFIRE CORNER - Victoria Cross - Australia - Albert Jacka

His first MC:
    His Second MC:
    The (DSO) he did not receive:

2. Jerome

Jerome Member

Spidge, apparently there are 3 Aussie graves here in Port of Spain - do you have their photos? Let me know as I have to photograph some others for TWGPP

3. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hi Jerome,

Yes I have them. Duncan Richardson sent them to me a couple of months ago. If you are going there I would like a couple of shots of the cemetery if you can in Hi-Res.

Cheers and thanks,

Geoff

4. Jerome

Jerome Member

Okay will do - as Hi res as my camera can go!

5. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

I looked up Jacka's reference on Wikipedia because I seemed to remember that he was awarded a DSO at Pozieres, but I was wrong it was an MC. It is often considered that he should have been awarded a bar to his VC for that action, and that it was even more of deserving of the VC than the Gallipoli action. But I came across this passage:

Ok this is Wikipedia, but it does point out the danger of making assumptions. But even if the suggestion is correct, I would not in any way wish to criticise this incredibly brave man. Even if he did make a mistake here, then given the pressure which any officer in the frontline would have been under, plus being exhausted, I don't think anyone else is in a position to criticise.

6. Jerome

Jerome Member

Spidge, hope to make it to the Cemetery next week. In the meanwhile, can you email me the data you have on the 3 Oz servicemen - the Aus. HC does not have many details on them. Ta

7. spidge

spidge Active Member

Will do Jerome although it is sketchy as you could well imagine. Kyt chased up most of the data.

I will see what it all adds up to and see if we can add to it.

The High Commissioner may be able to do me a favour with a couple I have no hope of getting. I heard the HC in Denmark arranged some photos from Iceland and The Faroe Islands for another collector in Australia.

I will send the new list by country and see if he can assist with any. I would love to do the trip myself however the finances do not allow such a luxury.[​IMG]

Cheers

Geoff

8. Jerome

Jerome Member

No problem Geoff, send me the file and will see how they can help locally.