Matthew Mullineux - English Rugby Union Scrum-Half

Discussion in 'Sportsmen & women' started by liverpool annie, May 27, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Here's a man who came home ...... but interesting !

Matthew Mullineux (8 August 1867 – 13 February 1945) was an English rugby union scrum-half who, although not capped for England, was selected for two British Lions tours. He gained one cap during the 1896 tour to South Africa and captained the 1899 tour of Australia. An Anglican minister, he would later become a chaplain in the British Army, and was awarded the Military Cross for his actions during World War I.

Mullineux first came to note as a rugby player when he represented Cambridge University as a student, before turning out for Blackheath. In 1896 he was selected to play in Johnny Hammond's British Isles team to tour South Africa; although Mullineux only played in one of the test matches, the opening win over South Africa at Port Elizabeth.

In 1899, the first official British team to tour Australia was selected, and Mullineux was not only chosen to captain the team, but also managed it. Again Mullineux represented the British team in the opening game, but the tourists lacked cohesion and lost to the Australians 3-13. The British Isles had under-performed in the few invitational games leading up to the first test, and after the defeat to the Wallabies, Mullineux dropped himself from the team for the remaining tests, and brought in Charlie Adamson as his replacement. The captaincy was given to Frank Stout, and the tourists play began to improve. After Mullineux's decision the British Isles played far better rugby and won the last three tests to take the series 3-1. Although no longer a part of the test team, Mullineux continued to represent the British team against the invitational and regional teams.

A reflection of Mulleneux's character was seen during the 1899 tour, when after the third test in Sydney he undiplomatically embarrassed the Australian hosts at the after-match dinner. After JJ Calvert, the president of the New South Wales RFU, had made a light-hearted excuse for the Australian team's poor performance, Mullineux responded by lecturing the Australian's on their style of play, and offered suggestions as to how they could refine their play

Despite only playing in the first test, Mullineux was honoured when bush poet, Banjo Paterson wrote a poem about his playing prowess, entitled The Reverend Mullineux.

Mullineux followed a career in the Anglican church from an early age, and was the Reverend Mullineux during the British Isles tours; even preaching at local churches after the matches.Prior to the outbreak of World War I, Mullineux was Chaplain to the Flying Angel Mission in America, but travelled by mail boat to New Zealand in order to proceed on active duty. While in New Zealand he studied medicine, before leaving for Britain as a Chaplain to the Forces. In May 1918, while posted at a regimental aid post in France, Mullineux took command of the post after the serving medical officer was incapicated by his wounds. The station came under high explosive and gas shelling for 12 hours, during which time Mullineux tended to the wounded and supervised evacaution of the site. For his actions during this time, he was awarded the Military Cross

After the war, Mullineux continued his connections with the armed forces and Australaisa, when he toured churches and Red Cross Societies throughout Australia, giving public lectures on the war cemeteries of Europe.

Proceeds raised by his tours helped finance Australian families who wished to visit the cemeteries in Europe.

MULLINEAUX, Rev Matthew, who has been awarded the Military Cross, was formerly Chaplain to the Flying Angel Mission in an American port and worked his way to NZ in the stokehold of a mail boat in order to proceed on active service. Prior to leaving NZ as Chaplain to the Forces, he studied medicine and apparently his studies were of valuable assistance in a time of need. In May last during the incapacity of a medial officer owing to wounds, Chaplain Mullineaux took charge of a regimental aid post, dressed the wounded and supervised evacuation. But for his prompt assistant there would have been serious congestion of the wounded. He is well known in English football circles. [AWN 27.06.1918] P.27

MULLINEUX, Rev Matthew, who was already wearing South African ribands, has now been awarded the Military Cross. During fighting in May when a medical officer became a casualty, Chaplain Mullineux took charge of a regimental aid post, dressed the wounded and supervised evacuations. This post was subjected to heavy high explosive and gas shelling for 12 hours and but for the padre’s splendid work there would have been serious congestion of the wounded. [AWN 27.06.1918, p.25]

http://www.lionsrugby.com/history/5026.php

http://ndpbeta.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/3697275

Captain of the 1896 Lions tourists John Hammond holds the ball together with his team. On his right is Dr Tommy Crean, R.Johnston is standing sixth from the left, Matthew Mullineux third from the left on the floor, in front of Hammond

Attached Files:

2. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Mullineux, Mathew Reverend, MC played forGreat Britain

Great Britain Internationals: 2 : 1896 SA+ ; 1899 A-

Mathew Mullineux was born on 8 August 1867

Played as a Fly-half for: Blackheath

Profession: Clergy. A curate in south-east London and a teacher at the Royal Naval School at Eltham.

Remarks: Attended Cambridge University, but he was not a Blue. He was a member of the 1896 Great Britain tour to South Africa, and Captain of the 1899 tour to Australia. Along with Englishman J Hammond, who captained the 1896 team to South Africa, he is one of two players to captain Great Britain without playing in a Four Home Unions International. He played in the first international v Australia, then stood down to enable Frank Stout to be captain for the remaining Internationals. Inspired the poem Reverend Mullineux by A B “Banjo” Paterson:

I’d reckon his weight at eight-stun-eight
    And his height at five- foot-two
    With a face as plain as an eight-day clock
    And a walk as brisk as a bantam cock
    Game as a bantam too
    Hard and wiry and full of steam
    That’s the boss of the English team
    Reverend Mullineux!

Makes no row when the game gets rough -
    None of your “Strike me blue!”
    “Yous wants smacking across the snout!” –
    Plays like a gentleman out and out,
    Same as he ought to do
    “Kindly remove from off my face!”
    That’s the way that he states his case,
    Reverend Mullineux!

Kick! He can kick like an army mule –
    Run like a kangaroo!
    Hard to get by as a lawyer-plant
    Tackles his man like a bulldog ant –
    Fetches him over too!
    Didn’t the public cheer and shout
    Watchin’ him chuckin’ big blokes about
    Reverend Mullineux!

Scrimmage was packed on his prostrate form
    Somehow the ball got through –
    Who was it tackled our big half-back?
    Flinging him down like an empty sack,
    Right on our goal-line too!
    Who but the man we thought was dead
    Down with a score of ‘em on his head,
    Reverend Mullineux!

War service: 43630 Chaplain-Captain with the New Zealand Expeditionary Force; MC Gazetted 16 September 1918: “For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. During two days’ hard fighting, when the medical officer had become a casualty, early on the morning of the first day, he took charge of the Regimental Aid post, dressed the wounded and superintended their evacuation. The Regimental Aid post was subjected to very heavy high explosive and gas shell fire for twelve hours, and but for his skill and excellent dispositions, serious congestion would have occurred. His untiring energy and cheerful service in providing comfort for the troops under most adverse circumstances were of the greatest value to all ranks of the battalion.” He was invited to take part in the dedication of the NZ Memorial at Le Quesnoy in France in July 1923.

He died on 13 December 1945.

3. liverpool annie

We have a different date of death Gareth ! :confused:

4. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

It looks like there was a misprint in one of my sources, or - more likely - I struck an extra key when writing my notes. The book I just checked has February.

Gareth

5. liverpool annie

6. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Annie

Thank you very much - I hadn't seen it, and I have to confess my ignorance of the location of the Rimutakas.

Gareth

7. liverpool annie

New Zealand perhaps ......... ?? :rolleyes:

To be honest - I've never heard of it myself Gareth !! :) .... somebody will come on and tell us all about it !! :)