Maryland and Delaware Soldiers

Discussion in 'Revolutionary War' started by MarylandRev, Dec 3, 2006.

1. MarylandRev

MarylandRev New Member

I'e always read that the Maryland and Delaware troops were the best the Continental Army had to offer. I would be interested in everyone else's opinion. 8)

2. AmandaLynn

AmandaLynn New Member

They were among the best for sure. But don't forget about those Virginia boys and the PA Sharpshooters.   ;)

Linda

3. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Member

Greetings
    You are correct with regard to Maryland troops who were continentals. It is always important to distinguish between continentals and militias. The Maryland "C"'s enabled Daniel Morgan to win the battle of the Cowpens. My first introduction to Rev War was as a "Doodle" and teaching school in Maryland, researched her contributions. Then I saw the light and joined the forces of Good King George.
    I am a caveman with regard to computers so I may very well mess up and beg forgiveness and help. YMH & OS, "Uncle Ben" Newton Capt Lt Royal Artillery

4. markpeters

markpeters New Member

Well, Maryland Mark is not around at the moment, so I'm going to slip one under his radar.   :eek:

I'm well aware how history 'can change' over the years.  I thought about what Mark had written, and wondered what Maryland and Delaware's contributions to the Colonist war effort were.  The easiest way to assess this, in my opinion, is to look at the troop contributions of particular states.

The population of the colonies totalled 2,780,369 freemen in 1780.  The Continentals totalled 152,025, and the Militia 95,760.  That's a total of 247,785 enlisted men, or 8.91% of the total free men.

In comparison, the population of Maryland totalled 245,474 free men in 1780.  The Continentals totalled 9,200, and the Militia 5,950.  That's a total of 15,150 enlisted men, or 6.17% of the total free men.

The population of Delaware totalled 35,496 freemen in 1780.  The Continentals totalled 1,575, and the Militia 660.  That's a total of 2,235 enlisted men, or 6.29% of the total free men.

So, despite the vast difference in population size, both Maryland and Delaware contributed roughly the same propotion of enlisted men to the colonist cause.  Both states provided well below the average, and thus would be fair to suggest that the colonist cause had less support in these states.

However, the one state I've never taken too (which is unfair as I've never been there) totalled 266,565 freemen in 1780.  The Continentals totalled 44,800, and the Militia 13,200.  That's a total of 58,000 enlisted men, or 21.76% of the total free men.  So, it would be fair to surmise that those in Massachussets/Maine were far more desirous of change than those in Maryland and Delaware.

Best wishes,

Mark

PS.  These figures for American troops come from the 'Encylopedia of the American Revolution' and the populations from 'Rebels and Redcoats'.  The percentages and analysis are mine!   ??? 

5. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Member

Mark
    I am having a difficult time with the numbers of Doodles listed in "Encylopedia pof the American Revolution". On page 264 it says that 89,600 were raised in 1776 about half being continentals(45,000). At the same time, Washington's army in New york is listed at 28,000 continentals and militia. My question is, if these numbers are anywhere near correct, where were the rest of the troops? I can't help but think that the numbers in "Encyl" are vastly inflated and represent, at best, paper figures.
    I am now on the trail of a book which has figures based on actual "Regimental Strength Reports".
    YMH & OS, Ben

6. markpeters

markpeters New Member

Ben,

I think I can answer that to some extent. It would be acceptable to look at a figure of say 66% over ther period of the war, due to re-enlisments. I must say that the figure for Massachussets is rather high - anti British feeling notwithstanding.

Best wishes,

Mark

7. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Member

Mark
    I have received a copy of "Sinews Of Independence" Edited by Charles Lesser, which lists the monthly strength reports of the Doodle army for the war years by state and by regt.
    In October of 76 it shows the largest monthly total of the war, 48,000 which includes both Continentals and Militia regts and those troops with Washington and those in the Northern Dept.
    Mass Continentals with Washington 5025
    '' in Nothern Dept 1918
    Total 6943
    I hope this is of some help. The interlibrary loan girls tell me I may have this book til 10 Apr so I can look up any info needed or wanted. YMH & OS, Ben fourthbnra@hotmail.com God Save King George

8. 2mrfcnrcm

2mrfcnrcm New Member

Not yet certain how well it's backed up by modern historiographic techniques, but Maryland Continentals owned quite the reputation back in the day. Some were chosen as the rear guard during the American retreat from New York: the position of honor, as only the steadiest troops could be trusted. But it wasn't too safe a position ... the Battle of Brooklyn (Aug 1776) was the bloodiest fought, and the MDers caught the worst of it.

Ever after, when Gen Washington needed a nasty task done up right, he was heard to ask "Where is my old line?" Legend or no, it led to the nickname "Old Line State," which still appears on MD license plates; surely the work of publicists, but I've no idea when. And modern state politicians haven't yet seen fit to remove it.

Capt of Muskets (ret)
    2nd MD Reg't of Foot, Continental Line (reactivated)
    formerly of Bellevue, NE

9. Baltis Getzendanner

Baltis Getzendanner New Member

Smallwood's First Maryland Regiment served with distinction. They fought in many of the major battles including New York, Brandywine, Monmouth, Camden, Guilford.