Major Edgar Towner VC, MS AIF Gets Honoured

Discussion in 'World War 1' started by spof, Apr 26, 2009.

1. spof

spof New Member

What an amazing man

Edgar Towner was twice mentioned in dispatches for bravery and was awarded a Military Cross. Then in September 1918 he was part of the assault on Mont St Quentin, considered one of the finest feats of the Australian Army in the First World War.

PETER BURNESS: There were no tanks available, there was limited artillery support. So this was a classic infantry action, often hand to hand fighting, desperate, it was vital we win it, and Towner becomes one of those men that becomes a turning point in the battle and brings on its success.

JOHN TAYLOR: In two days, six Australians won Victoria Crosses. Edgar Towner captured two enemy machine guns, took 25 Germans prisoner, and fought for 36 hours despite being wounded.

He suffered badly for the rest of his life though :(

2. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

I saw the coverage on the ABC's 7:30 Report about the statue of Major Towner that has just been unveiled in Blackall thanks to the efforts of a schoolboy who researched his history. It seemed a fitting tribute to a very brave man.

Gareth

3. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

4. spof

spof New Member

Yes.

My brother in Brisbane emailed me to look for these stories and I forgot to put in the link

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2009/s2551181.htm

5. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member