Lt Cmd Ian Fraser, VC RIP

Discussion in 'Memorials & Cemeteries' started by Kyt, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Lieutenant-Commander Ian Fraser, VC: wartime submariner | Times Online Obituary

2. Hugh

Hugh New Member

A very brave man indeed.

May he encounter only fair winds and calm seas. RIP.

Regards
    Hugh

3. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

The last surviving Naval VC. A very sad loss, and a man who achieved many things other than his wartime exploits. Married 65 years, for a start.

4. Adrian Roberts

This leaves just five surviving VC recipients from WW2, and five others.

The oldest is Eric Wilson, who was awarded his for action in Somaliland in 1940; he is nearly 96 now.

And yet people are still being awarded VCs. I catch myself thinking that it is a good thing there are new VC recipients coming through, so that this breed of men does not die out. But how much better if we lived in a world where such sacrifice was not needed! But it is needed, so we must be glad there are such people in our Armed Services.

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

6. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Heres an odd thing ..... I thought they were always awarded in war time !

A Victoria Cross was awarded to 20 year old Pte. Timothy O'hea who was a member of the 1st Battalion Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort's Own) The Irish soldier was serving with the British Army in Danville Quebec on June 9 1866 when a railway car containing 2000 pounds of ammunition caught fire. He quickly took charge opened the locked railcar and with the help of others brought the fire under control. His Victoria Cross was unusual in that it was awarded for bravery in Canada, and not in a war action.

7. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

O'Hea's VC was awarded under an amendment made to the original warrent:

August 10, 1858 Amendment:
    "subject to the rules and ordinances already made, on Officers and Men of Her Majesty's Naval and Military Services, who may perform acts of conspicuous courage and bravery under circumstances of extreme danger, such as the occurance of a fire on board ship, or the foundering of a vessel at sea, or under any of the other circumstance in which, through the courage and devotion displayed, life or public property may be saved."

This was only superceded by the creation of the George Cross

8. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Thanks K ... sorry to hijack your thread !

“Titch” was quite well known on Merseyside .... a very brave man indeed !

RIP

9. Adrian Roberts

I think this amendment only lasted a few years. Certainly by WW1, and prior to the creation of the George Cross, the Albert Medal was the award for such deeds in non-combat situations.

10. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

The submarine op was a model of skill, tenacity, initiative and bravery. An incredible story that more should know about. An impressive man who fully deserved his honours. RIP.