Life In Wartime Trinidad

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Jerome, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Jerome

Jerome Member

For the past five months I have been researching WW2 Trinidad & other WI servicemen/women. The reading of the newspapers of the day has been fascinating and I thought to perhaps share here what things were like on the home front, 5,000 miles from Britain. It will be through pics of articles, so the quality may/will probably not be too good, so hope you will forgive me. Here is the first article, published in The Sunday Guardian, 29 Nov 1942:

[​IMG]

Oopps wrong forum - can a Mod move this to Newsreels & newspapers forum?

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Witchbroom Officers? Should I ask?

3. Jerome

Jerome Member

Thanks for moving this thread Kyt. Fortunately 'Authority" never followed through. The many vehicular accidents involving US personnel would have created a 'road kill' crisis - though come to think of it, may well have solved or alleviated the severe meat shortage!

4. Jerome

Jerome Member

Not only was there a food shortage, but also a coin shortage:-

[​IMG]

click Ctrl ++ to enlarge type

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

The question is - who was importing the coins? The article implies that it could be citizens, but where were they getting them from? Or was it the remittance from those who had volunteered and were training in Canada, who maybe sending home some pay?

6. Jerome

Jerome Member

Since Britain was unable to provide coins (and later on $5.00 bills) until the end of 1942, the government decided to bring in a large supply from Canada and which would be legal tender in Trinidad but carry a Trinidad face value. Special legislation had to be passed. The idea of bringing coins from the US was brought up but patriotic pride won out - about a month after, $5.00 bills from Barbados were brought in and circulated as legal tender - probably the 1st and only time a country had money from 2 other countries circulating and all legal tender ! with a local face value.

7. Jerome

Jerome Member

These documents were found on Macqueripe Beach, Chaguaramas, Trinidad about 15 - 20 years ago in a water-proofed pouch. The finder passed it on to a friend who photocopied them as an historical oddity. Yesterday, they were passed on to me and I have scanned them for display within the Museum. They relate what action is to be taken in Trinidad if war with Japan seem imminent and they are dated 25 Oct 1941 and marked Most Secret.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Jerome

Jerome Member

The other page is here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

The contents of the document seem pretty standard (though very interesting) but what fascinates me are the circumstances of the find!!! Jerome, have you found anything about how they were lost? Though it says telegram I wonder whether they were in a diplomatic pouch lost on a ship?

10. Jerome

Jerome Member

The info I have is as per post#7. I don't think it was lost on a ship, since it is/was highly unlikely for flotsam to wash ashore at this Bay. I think it was either (a) carelessness - since Macqueripe was a popular bathing area for Society at that time, or (b) post Independence and until early '90's a huge quantity of old documents were dumped in one of the old US NAS hangers and scavengers maybe took some stuff and carried them to Macqueripe for privacy to review them.

11. Jerome

Jerome Member

Now this is a Raffle and only $1 per ticket!!

[​IMG]

12. Jerome

Jerome Member

And the result of earlier fund raising activities:

[​IMG]

13. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

14. Jerome

Jerome Member

From the quatity of coconut trees, the area was probably Manzanilla Beach, East Coast of Trinidad - will have to join Flickr to contact the owner!

15. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

That's an impressive prize, even by todays standards

16. spidge

spidge Active Member

Most definitely a worthwhile prize by todays standards. Even the $50 outfit would have been a huge amount in those days.

Wonder what the Angostura Bitters shares would be worth?

17. Jerome

Jerome Member

On our local Stock Exchange $6.21 is the latest quote

18. Jerome

Jerome Member

I usually use a camera borrowed from my friends' 9yr old daughter (which she hardly ever uses) to photograph my old newspaper articles. Regrettably, it was KIA whilst taking photos at my nephew's wedding on Sunday. Until such time as I can acquire, by whatever dubious means, a replacement, my pic postings to this thread has come to a screeching halt - at least for the time.
    And before anyone asks, I was sober and I did not drop it - it just died; it was not my fault - really:poster_oops:

19. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

It was probably shocked at having to focus on something more than two feet away, Jerome! :lol:

Looking forward to your next 'acquisition'.

20. Jerome

Jerome Member

Though spoken in jest, it seems Andy you were correct!!! My local camera shop thinks the lens "went off its track".
    To send it off to canada to repair may cost more than the camera is worth - so am contemplating taking it apart - putting it back together again may be problematical