Lieutenant-Commander Stanley Brilliant RIP

Discussion in 'Memorials & Cemeteries' started by Kyt, May 21, 2008.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Lieutenant-Commander Stanley Brilliant | Times Online Obituary

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Attacking a U-boat in a Stringbag. Wow. RIP.

Is it just me or has not enough been written about Swordfish pilots?

3. Lieutenant-Commander Stanley Brilliant

In response to your comment I would add actually no. In individual or collective human endeavor there can never be enough recounting or reference made to any specific element.

I feel it is an affront to the dignity and action of Lieutenant-Commander Brilliant, his team and family that your comment is voiced. You might just as well state that the Spitfire is done to death, or any other famous piece of military hardware. Perhaps Douglas Bader is a bore to you also?

I suggest a swift and courteous retraction is offered, particularly as the obituary is so recent.

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Robert, though not speaking directly for Andy, I believe that you have misinterpreted his comment. What he is actually saying is that not enough has been written about Swordfish crews, and that there should be more. If you had taken the time to read Andy's other posts you would realise that he has nothing but admiration for the pilots and crews of all Allied air forces. We have both had many discussions where we wondered at their sheer courage and determination.

So, as a newbie to the forum, take a second to read his (and my posts) before criticising.

5. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Guest

Robert, please read all of the posts in a thread before replying okay? Then you won't get critized.

6. Brian S

Brian S Guest

Swordfish

Andy if you can get hold of a copy of "Night Strike from Malta" by Kenneth Poolman you will learn how effective the Albacores and Swordfish of 830 Squadron were.
    The Albacore found the shipping targets in the Mediterranean and lit them up with flares. The Swordfish then conducted the attack.

All the attacks were orchestrated by intelligence on shipping movements.

7. Antipodean Andy

Brian, I've been trying but no luck so far (bit of a Maltaphile). Also keen to get hold of Bring back my Stringbag but am on a self-imposed book buying ban at present and have been remarkably (or sadly) good at resisting so far. To date, Charles Lamb's book is the only one I've read perhaps because it was readily available as a Cassell publication.

Robert, nothing but admiration here so I'm afraid you got hold of the wrong end of the stick with regard to my initial post.

8. Brian S

Brian S Guest

Stringbags

Andy,
    as the book has been out of print for some time I managed to get an ex Library copy. Either Abebooks or Amazon were the suppliers at a very cheap rate. A copy was needed for the reference it made to an attack on the Ariosto.

What I was fortunate enough to do was to contact the Author and have a couple of telephone conversations with him,but that was quite a few years ago.

9. Brian S

Brian S Guest

Stringbags

Andy,
    as the book had been out of print for some time I managed to get an ex Library copy. Either Abebooks or Amazon were the suppliers at a very cheap rate. A copy was needed for the reference it made to an attack on the Ariosto.

I did have the good fortune to contact the Author and have a couple of telephone conversations with him,but that was quite a few years ago.

10. Antipodean Andy

Ariosto? The ship that is now the dive wreck despite being the grave site for 140 POWs or have I confused it with a similar-named ship?

11. Brian S

Brian S Guest

Ariosto

Same Ship Andy. The attack appears to have been unsuccessful as the P38 is credited with the sinking. Unfortunately the P38 didn't survive that patrol so made no report on the attack.

Brian