Lancaster EE182 at Moran, Michigan, U.S.A.

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by David Layne, Jul 11, 2008.

1. David Layne

David Layne Active Member

Jim Hendershott of Utah sent me these pictures. Jim tells me that in 1943 when he was 9 and living on the Upper Penninular of Michigan Lancaster EE182 landed at Moran, Michigan.

According to Jim the pilot Flt/Lt W.O. Ross informed the curious onlookers that he was lost and requested fuel. Apparently on attempting to get airborne Ross ran off the end of the runway. He was subsequently towed back to the end of the runway and made a successful take off.

From what I have found out EE182 served with 101 &103 Squadrons before going to the U.S.A. in July 1943. She participated in cold weather trials in Canada from January 1944 through to 1947.

Can anyone add to this story and come up with a little more on Ross?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I think the name and rank is wrong. There is no W O Ross listed in the LG - as a F/Lt he should have atleast one mention.

And the dates correspond with the following details:

That would be Nicky Ross, who was with 103 at the time (and those are clearly 103 markings)

Flt Lt Nicky Ross - Telegraph

3. David Layne

Thanks Kyt. Curious as to the tarp on the mid upper turret.

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

That was common feature when flying non-op or ferrying - to protect the perspex, and keep out the elements because of the gaps after the guns had been removed.. You can just make out that the rear turret is covered too.

5. David Layne

Also behind the spinners.

6. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I was wondering about that because that just looks its been draped over the cowling

7. David Layne

Looks to me to be protecting the area between the propellor hub and the front casing of the engine which will be exposed. It's possible the exhaust stacks were too hot to cover the whole engine.

8. Ferhilt

Ferhilt New Member

Its definitely bunched up, could just be prepping for the tow.

Any idea what the experimental trials were for?

9. David Layne

I understand they dropped bren gun carriers by parachute from different altitudes.

10. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

Hi All,

It's an interesting shot. The top one almost lends itself to a 'caption competition'.

Thanks for sharing David.

Cheers

Owen

11. Masovian

Masovian Guest

Lancaster EE182 - Drop tests in the US.

On 1st July 1943, W.O. Nicky Ross and crew flew Lancaster EE182 from Prestwick in Scotland to Gander, Newfounland, a flight of 9 hours 55 minutes. The following day, they flew from Gander to Montreal, a further 5 hour flight. On the 3rd they took off heading for Wright Field, Ohio, however 8 1/2 hours later they had to make a forced landing, coming down in a clearing near St Ignace, Michigan.

(I suspect that this is when the photos of the Lanc were taken.)

Having had the aircraft recovered and repaired, the trip to Ohio recommenced on 9th July with a shot leg to Malton where air tests and local flying was carried out on the 16th and 18th before completing the trip to Wright Field on 19th July.

The work at Wright field consisted of dropping two Studebaker M29 (UST24) "Weasel" armoured personnel carriers.

A total of 12 experimental flights were made between 20th July and 8th August 1943.

(I have a photo of the test but dont seem to be able to attach it)

12. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Welcome Masovian, and thanks for the great info. I'm glad to see that my suspicion that it was Nicky Ross is confirmed.

As to attaching photos, we have a size limit. Try resizing it - it should be less than 2mb, but there also a height and width limit. At a rough approximation best to stick to pictures about the size that David posted above, ar a little bigger.

13. David Layne

Thanks for the excellent update. If you have problems with the picture PM me and I will see what I can do because I really want to see your picture.

14. Masovian

Masovian Guest

Lancaster EE182 - Drop tests in the US.

Thanks for the advice regarding posting pictures, I hope these are of some interest.

The first picture is a second or so after release - note they were on two separate release circuits so are released separately.

Picture two - safe landing.

Dropping of equipment in this manner is now a fairly common procedure - I believe this was the first time it was ever done successfully.

Attached Files:

15. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Nice pics - do you have a copy of the film from which the stills are taken?

And any details about how the aircraft was adapted?

16. David Layne

Thanks for the pictures. From the size of the vehicle one must presume there were extensive modifications to the Lanc. Any knowledge of how they did it?

[​IMG]

17. Masovian

Masovian Guest

Apparently, it was done by fixing four standard British 1000 lb bomb carriers to lugs provided on a carrier frame attached to the "Weasel".

Cables from the standard bomb hoists were passed through the bomb bay to the bomb shackles on the carrier frame. The aft "Weasel" was supported at bomb points 7, 9, 5 and 3; the forward vehicle at points 10, 8, 15 and 14.

The static lines for the parachutes were passed through bomb point 12 for the forward vehicle and 11 for the aft. The lines were then looped around and taped to a 1" diameter steel bar, 2 foot long.

According to Nicky, with the load sticking out of the bomb-bay, it flew like a brick wall.........

18. Masovian

Masovian Guest

I've seen it and managed to take some stills, but no longer have a copy. Please see other post re mods.

19. David Layne

Many thanks for a most informative reply. I love how this thread has come together.

20. David Layne

One more picture that Masovian sent me.[​IMG]