If not Russell brand - Who?

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by CTNana, Oct 31, 2008.

1. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

The Russell Brand fan club obviously hasn't many members here. So who does always make you laugh?

Has to be Billy Connolly for me. I don't even notice the awful language (did when I saw him live though)! His early stuff (for which I needed an interpreter because his accent was so broad initially) was absolutely, irreverently funny. He makes me want to smile before he starts to speak.

2. John

John Active Member

Sorry CTNANA but Billy Connolly has the foulest mouth I have ever heard.

3. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

So who does make you laugh then John?

p.s. i forgot all of those old classics like Round the Horn which stand the test of time to me.

4. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

It's Kenneth Williams for me ... I just have to think about him and I start laughing !!!!!! :clapping:

5. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Perhaps the saddest part of it is that he would still be exceptionally funny without the swearing. I wonder why I noticed it more watching him live than in the comfort of my lounge? Regardless, I still think his observations on working class life and social norms are second to none. So easy to identify with so many of the situations he rambles on about.

Peter Kay pushes the same buttons and it is to his credit that he can have both his Mum and his Nan in the audience without causing embarrassment.

6. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

Fawlty Towers (including Andrew Sachs) has to be the all-time classic. Trouble is, my wife watches at least an episode a fortnight on DVD, and I would be afraid that even this classic would lose its edge if I watched them that often. But, when I do watch it, we laugh at the right points even though we virtually know it off by heart.

Of today's comedy, Jack Dee and Omid Dhajidli are very funny without relying wholely on being crude. Have I Got News for You is great, while its rival Mock the Week is, at best, side-splittingly funny, but some of the team rely on being crude and shocking, and making jokes about Norfolk which would be racist if they were about black people.
    And I identified with the nerds on The IT Crowd!

7. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

That's a tough one Nana. I would agree that Billy is up there in my top 5. But I have found that there are a number of stand up comedians who I don't find funny when they are in sitcoms or film. I have yet to find anything that Billy has appeared in worthy of his talent.

Others like Peter Kay are fantastic in their stand up shows but I loathe his Phoenix Nights. Same with Jack Dee - fantastic on stage but his Lead Balloon is pathetic.

However, some one like Phil Jupitas is great on panel shows but his stand up show was painful. I am a big an of Stephen Fry too. And Alan Davis, who is a great foil for Fry on QI, and his stand up is good too.

OK, my top 5 are:

1) The M*A*S*H team (from the TV series). I have it on DVD and I just love it. Difficult to pinpoint exactly why but it could be because it still gentle humour despite the setting.
    2) Will Hay - oh happy memories of summer holidays. I have all his films on DVD
    3) Billy
    4) Lee Evans - like Billy with bonus slapstick
    5) Eddie Izzard. Unlike Pythonesque surrealism, Izzard is actually funny

8. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I like Jack Dee. But indisputably someone like Bob Monkhouse with his long very funny stories and lightning fast brain (nothing like the gameshow host persona), Dave Alan, or the sheer gemuis of the Comedy Gods I give to you

Comedy Perfection

9. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

10. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Thanks Annie,
    I'm without sound at present but still enjoyed it again. My favourite sketch of his was when the hoover "chased" him down the stairs.

How could I have forgotten him, or Fawlty Towers or Jack Dee?

Kyt who is Billy?

Kitty that was one of my Dad's favourite sketches by his favourite comedians. I can imagine him roaring with laughter watching it.

I think my favourite sketch which still makes me laugh no matter how many times I see it is Del boy going to lean on the barflap which someone has opened in the meantime. Absolutely impeccable timing.

Dare I also admit to loving the Young Ones? It took me a while to see the humour but I really enjoyed it when I did.

11. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Nowt wrong with them,and Kyt has a major thing for Billy Connolly. The language is rather blue but generally very funny.

12. dirty dozen

dirty dozen New Member

fawlty towers brilliant tv ..

13. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Billy Connolly (Jodi has seen him live while I have to make do with several DVDs), Robin Williams (last time I saw him on Parky he just went off for 8 minutes - manic), anything by John Cleese, love Michael Palin, Arj Barker, Stephen K Amos, Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie, Dylan Moran, Tony Hancock, Morecombe and Wise, Bill Bailey...