How does this look

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by sniper, Sep 26, 2007.

1. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi Folks,

This is the sort of thing i'm trying to achieve with the project. More information can be added as it comes in. Any ideas from you folks would be good.

Take care
    Mike :peep:

ps This is not the finished articile yet, just exploring ideas.

2. sniper

sniper Active Member

Darn file wouldn't upload, sorry folks back to the drawing board to make this smaller.

Mike

3. Wise1

Wise1 Getting Wiser!

Mike, just cut up the new template, will be installing it on site shortly to see how it looks, give me an hour or so.

4. sniper

sniper Active Member

Could i email this to you and see if you can add it somehow? Been trying to turn it into a jpeg from a word doc and not having any luck.

Thanks

5. Wise1

Wise1 Getting Wiser!

yup no problem

6. sniper

sniper Active Member

Its on its way

7. Wise1

Wise1 Getting Wiser!

There you go.

Attached Files:

8. sniper

sniper Active Member

Thanks Lee,

Could i have some feedback from this please. Its for the Commonwealth Roll of Honour Project and i do value your input.
    Many thanks
    Mike

9. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Looks good Sniper.

(btw, you probably know of another site that started a similar project - though I believe one had to pay for pictures in their archive - it seems to have gone off-line in the last week)

10. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi Kyt,

I just found out about the BWMP going offline. If they stay offline it is going to be such a waste as they have nearly 900,000 photos. I used to be their project operations manager but we had a little falling out and thats why i have decided to start this project, because of that charge they were making. Like i say the photos are being taken by volunteers and why should they (the owners) make the money.

Appreciate the feedback as well. Is there anything i could add or take out to it.

Thanks
    Mike

11. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Was BWMP another name for britishwargraves.org etc? I'm afraid I only have the url bookmarked and can't remember the proper name.

I think your example looks good (needs a bit of tidying up but I assume the word doc is just an example of the webpage so will probably look good then). However, have you tried an example for a random name for whom details of cause of death are not so readily available to see what that looks like? Too many blank spaces may make the page look very empty if you're using the same template.

12. Wise1

Wise1 Getting Wiser!

The layout is not great to be honest, and the images are all squashed, I would prefer to see it over two pages to really see what your offering. Give me 10 minutes till I redo it and see what you think.

13. Wise1

Wise1 Getting Wiser!

I just played about with a bit and changed the format, the benefits are that you can zoom in on the pictures and docs, not great as Idont have the originals to resize but you get the idea, I note I missed 1 photo.

We can work on a format.

14. Wise1

Wise1 Getting Wiser!

Will even attach it this time...

Its even about 1/3 of the size

Attached Files:

15. sniper

sniper Active Member

Yes Kyt, the britishwargraves.org turned into the BWMP. This is what Wikipedia say about it. ''Unfortunately in 2007 problems with updating pictures to the website have led to uncertainty about its long term future in its current format. With effect from September 2007 the site went dormant''.

I take onboard you suggestions about that page and will see if i can do something about it for future pages. This was only a trial to see what you thought, especially with the idea of having this sort of thing available on the website. Would it be something that as military and family historians be of interest to you? This sort of thing would be available free of charge though i think it may have to be on a searchable database but emailed when asked for. If you have any ideas on this please let me know.

Thanks
    Mike

16. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I think it would be of great interest and help to a lot of people, especially with your philosophy on its access etc.

As to the layout, Lee seems to have made it look better, but if that is something would be available for vistors to print, then flexibility will have to be examined. Otherwise, as I said, blank spaces, for he lack of information, would look strange.

A couple of suggestions:

1) maybe an option for people to be able to update you if they have access to information about the cause of death. I certainly know that a very large percentage of RAF etc casualties do not have units on the CWGC. It maybe worthwhile visiting rafcommands.com because there are a number of members who are currently working on ascertaining causes of death. A couple of people to ask would be Henk Welting (whose messages usually start with "Unaccounted' airman....and date", and DaveW, who si a real font of knowledge about where deaths were registered (which often links them with a aircraft crash in the vicinity).

2) check out flickr and other photo sharing sites - a number of users have taken cemetary pictures and uploaded them. Probably worth asking them if these could be used. A very nice Indian gentleman helped me with pictures from Kirkee Cemetery a couple of months ago (whom I had contacted via flickr on behalf of another rafcommands member).

17. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Oh, forgot to ask - the memorial scroll - is that from the WW2 casualties CDs? If so, are there any copyright issues?

18. sniper

sniper Active Member

I think the scroll is from the original as the information came from a family member who had access to family documentation.

19. sniper

sniper Active Member

I certainly take in your suggestions and will try and make it a different format maybe. I certainly take in the blank space part and will try to keep everything tight but not crushed together. I will certainly visit rafcommands.com and flickr and maybe ask them for some help as well. As i said its only an idea which came to me this evening and was just seeing what you all thought on it. If its going to help the types of historians i mentioned its worth trying to progress with it.

Thanks

20. Wise1

Wise1 Getting Wiser!

Format is easy to work on, we can come up with something simply but effective, and we can make it available online via your site as well.