Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond Virginia

Discussion in 'Memorials & Cemeteries' started by Kate, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Kate

Kate Active Member

There are over 18,000 Confederate soldiers from the Civil War buried at Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond, Virginia. The cemetery is located on South Cherry Street.

As much of a Civil War buff as I am, I've never been to Hollywood... and for a reason that most people would laugh at. Richmond's traffic, especially when I'm on I95 is so horrid that I just want to rush past and get out of there. (Just in time to hit D.C. traffic, actually.) But one of these times, I *am* going to pay respects to the Confederate soldiers just as I do the Union soldiers at the National Cemetery at Gettysburg. I really want to visit, and need to get over the fear.

It's a beautiful setting overlooking the James River, I hear. I will need to be prepared to snap a lot of pictures because there are some notable burials at Hollywood. Those would include Presidents Monroe and Tyler, and Confederate President Jefferson Davis. Two of the people I've studied from Gettysburg have final resting places at Hollywood, too... General Pickett, and General J.E.B. Stuart.

Oh, the name comes from the holly trees around the area, not the "other" Hollywood. Note that although there are so many burials from the Civil War, Hollywood Cemetery is in no way only that... there are *many* other burials as well, quite a number of them notable names.

2. R Leonard

R Leonard Active Member

Richmond traffic is nothing compared to NoVa or the Tidewater. In Richmond people get excited about having to wait two cycles on a light on Midlothian Turnpike during rush hour . . . compared to Rt 50 in Fairfax or Glebe Road in Arlington; or Tidewater Drive or Hampton Blvd in Norfolk during rush hour, folks in Richmond have it easy. And I won't even comment on the various 95's around DC or the 64's around Norfolk and up unto Newport News . . . Richmond is a breeze. Having lived in Arlington, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Newport News, Williamsburg and in the Richmond area now, I always chuckle at the radio traffic advisories.

3. Kate

Kate Active Member

Well I shall remember to stay away from those places. :) My problems started in a torrential downpour on I95 Richmond. No one slowed down and not being able to see the lane lines didn't seem to matter. Accident after accident... two times since that it was raining heavily in Richmond when I was passing through. Talk about tension. Maybe next time you can help plan my travels and tell me when it's supposed to be SUNNY when I'm there! :D

But enough traffic report from me... you ever been to Hollywood Cemetery? I'd love to hear about it!