Help! Bomber Command Experts

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by nabber, Dec 5, 2009.

1. nabber

nabber New Member

I was advised to post on this site, and having seen the wealth of knowledge and information available I am very hopeful that I will be able to learn more about a family friend who served in Bomber Command during the war. The only information I have, is obtained from some photographs found recently after a family bereavement.

It would appear that Barry Wood served as an Air Gunner in both Halifax and Lancasters at Linton on Ouse, and at Holme on Spalding Moor.
    Barry survived the war, but I have no knowledge of his current whereabouts, or indeed if he is still alive.
    The only aircraft identification I have is "A for Apple" on the side of a Halifax with squadron code letters "MP" which I believe is 76 Squadron.

Please see the photographs below, I look forward to learning more from this forum,

Regards Nabber :help:

Crew member at Benningborough Hall, Linton
    [​IMG]
    A for Apple and Crew ( Barry on extreme left)
    [​IMG]
    A for Apple ( A-MP )
    [​IMG]
    A for Apple missing on operations, Cassel October 2nd/3rd 19??
    [​IMG]
    The Men who flew her, and the Men who kept her flying
    [​IMG]
    The Crew at Benningborough Hall, Linton
    [​IMG]

2. CXX

CXX New Member

Hello Nabber,

Welcome to the forum.

As far as the loss of A-Apple is concerned I have the following......

3-4 October 1943

76 squadron
    Halifax V DK203 MP-A
    Op. Kassel

Lt. N S D. Eckoff RNAF +
    Sgt. A. Hayes inj
    Sgt. S. Meieran RNAF pow
    Sgt. R. Coupe pow
    Sgt. J. Skjelanger RNAF pow
    Sgt. C H E. Coster pow
    F/O. M G. Sheerman +

Took off 1830 hrs from Holme-on-Spalding Moor. Shot down by night-fighter (Lt heinz Vinke, II./ NJG1) and crashed 2322hrs onto a sandbank 400 metres east of Terschelling, where F/O. Sheerman is buried in Westerschelling General Cemetery. Sgt. Hayes died from his injuries on 6 October; he rests in Leeuwarden Northern General Cemetery. Sgt. Skjelanger RNAF was amongst a group of prisoners who arrived at Liverpool on 6 February 1945, aboard the Arundel Castle.

BCL Vol.4 - W R. Chorley

76 Squadron lost four aircraft on this raid.

The Kassel raid 3/4 October 1943

Kassel: 547 aircraft - 223 Halifaxes, 204 Lancasters, 113 Stirlings, 7 Mosquitos. The H2S 'blind marker' aircraft overshot the aiming point badly and the 'visual markers' could not correct this because their view of the ground was restricted by thick haze. German decoy markers may also have been present. The main weight of the attack thus fell on the western suburbs and outlying towns and villages. 24 aircraft - 14 Halifaxes, 6 Stirlings, 4 Lancasters - lost, 4.4 per cent of the force.

3. nabber

nabber New Member

Thanks for the info CXX, I had no idea that so many aircraft were involved in one bombing raid,

I hope to have 3 more photos ready shortly , of a Lancaster with the marking "P" underneath the side of the front turret,
    Regards Nabber

4. Kitty

Kitty New Member

P is probably for Pathfinder, but would need to see her markings to verify that.

As to over 500 bombers on a raid, by 1943 they were building up to the millennium raids of over a thousand bombers, admittedly to make up this number they had to pull in crews and aircraft that had yet to fnish operational training. However several hundred for one target, especial somewhere like Kessel was quite normal by '44/'45.

What precisely are you wanting to know?

5. nabber

nabber New Member

Kitty

It must have been absolutely frightening to have been on the receiving end of that kind of destructive power, but as someone who never had to face the horrors of war (born April 1945) I find it difficult to understand how crews who were not fully prepared where sent on such raids when our losses were so high?
    Also do you know the significance of Kassel?

Regards Nabber?

6. spidge

spidge Active Member

Significance! In what way do you mean?

Cheers

Geoff

7. nabber

nabber New Member

Sorry Geoff,

What I meant to ask was the reason Kassel was chosen as a target,

Nabber

8. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I think Kassel was UBoats, but not entirely sure, I would have to double check.

9. spidge

spidge Active Member

Fieseler aircraft plant?

Kassal/Henschel also had industries for:

Locomotive, Engine and Transport Plants

It was also the Military HQ of Wehrkreis IX and Bereich Hauptsitz Kassel

Was also the Germany HQ for highway & railway construction.

Cheers

Geoff