hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by spconnolly007, Sep 11, 2011.

1. spconnolly007

spconnolly007 The Shiny Seventh

hi all, just joined forum, been on WW2talk a short while and become aware of this site so had to join as my main interest is WW1. Have been looking into a relative, William Connolly, that was in the 7th city of london battalion(shiny seventh) KIA 7th June 1917(Messine) and one of my wifes relatives, William Nance, 7th battalion duke of cornwall light infantry, KIA 30th November 1917(Cambrai). We both have a relative lost in WW2 also, one in Italy 1943, the other in Burma 1944, 16th Durham light infantry and 45th reconnaissance, royal armoured corps respectively. Would like to hear from anyone who had relatives in WW1 battalion's mentioned above or anyone with anything of interest relating to the same, look forward to hearing from you, regards Sean

2. sniper

sniper Active Member

Welcome Sean,

You might like to get in touch with ReeceMitch on WW2Talk as he is collecting all the memorial headstones to the reconnaissance units of the RAC. What information do you have on your relatives that were killed during WW1? Again welcome to the forum and i hope that you will post some posts up to get this working.

Kind regards
    Sniper [Mike]

3. spconnolly007

spconnolly007 The Shiny Seventh

Thanks Mike, have passed on picture to reccemitch for his records. Do not know a great deal about either men other than what ive read in the 'history of the shiny seventh' book which covers William Connolly's regiment. I have a copy of his MIC but it seems that his military history was in the burnt files. I have copies of his brothers military records and MIC's, one of which joined the RAMC and the other into the 2nd/7th, but he was given a medical discharge and sadly died a couple of years later. Ive visited Ypres a couple of times over the last couple of years, and found a mention to a William Connolly from Wapping, London(we moved away years ago, but still have family in the area). It got me asking questions of family members who had no knowledge of any family in WW1. Luckily a cousin of mine had him on our family tree but knew nothing about him, and ive been like a dog with a bone ever since. My mum-in-law then mentioned her uncle(William Nance KIA Cambrai) and my house is now rapidly turning into a shrine for the war dead we never even knew existed!! Regards Sean