Hello, looking for some RAF help.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by kenmorrison, Dec 6, 2009.

1. kenmorrison

kenmorrison Member

Hi Folks - from the South coast of Scotland.
    My name is Ken and I am a contributer to the Scottish War Memorials Project.
    I'm researching those named on War Memorials and CWGC graves in the eastern area of Kirkcudbrightshire.
    I'm seeking information on the deaths of 3 RAF men of 245 (Northern Rhodesian) Squadron who died on the same day - 13 April 1941.
    Squadron Leader Kenneth Alexander Keswick MacEwen is buried in a family plot in New Abbey Burial Ground, Kirkcudbrightshire.
    Flight Lieutenant T.R. Kitson is listed at Blackpool Crematorium, Lancashire.
    Warrant Officer R. W. Johnson is buried in Lytham St. Anne's Cemetery, Lancashire.
    245 Squadron were, at the time, part of 13 Group, Fighter Command, flying Hurricanes and based at RAF Aldergrove in Northern Ireland.
    In view of the location of the latter two men, I'm wondering if there is any connection to the airfield at RAF Blackpool (Squires Gate)
    Can anyone help me please?

2. Kitty

Kitty New Member

There is also RAF Woodvale at the nearby Formby, which was predominantly a resting station for fighter squadrons.

Do you need to know about the losses? If so Sniper is your man at the moment.

3. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi Ken
    Welcome to the forum. I have looked up in my books, Fighter Command Losses 1939-1941 and can not find any of these guys in there at all. From that i presume they died in an accident or something other than actually flying. Sorry i can't help any further on this but if you are near to where they are buried or at least one of them try the church burial records as this usually has the reason for death.
    SNIPER :assassin:

4. spidge

spidge Active Member

Not much however there is a link here!

http://www.martinrealm.org/genealogy/The%20Times.htm

Might be worth asking a question here.

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/No._245_Squadron_RAF

5. spidge

spidge Active Member

Found them! Took a lot of digging and delving to achieve this lot! :hug:

13 Apr
    KITSON, THOMAS ROY
    Flt Lt
    He was killed whilst flying in Blenheim I, L6780 of No 245 Sqn, which crashed whilst taking off from Squires Gate. He was cremated at Blackpool (Carleton) Crematorium, Poulton-le-Fylde
    13 Apr
    JOHNSON, ROBERT WILFRED (BOB)
    WO
    He was killed whilst flying in Blenheim I, L6780 of No 245 Sqn, which crashed whilst taking off from Squires Gate. He is buried in Lytham St Anne's (Park) Cemetery.
    13 Apr
    MacEWEN, KENNETH ALEXANDER KESWICK
    Sqn Ldr
    He was killed whilst flying in Blenheim I, L6780 of No 245 Sqn, which crashed whilst taking off from Squires Gate. He is buried in New Abbey Burial Ground

Cheers

Geoff

6. CXX

CXX New Member

Killed onboard Blenheim L6780 which crashed close to Squries Gate, the area is now part of a housing estate.

No.3 SGR recorded the accident.

April 13th 1941, “Blenheim L6780 crashed killing all crew of 3 including S/Ldr K.A.K. MacEwen son of Air-Vice Marshall N.D.K. MacEwen CB, CMG, DSO. All members of 245 Squadron.”

April 16th 1941, “Funeral of victims of crashed Blenheim, attended by S/Ldr A. Simpson DFC OC 245 Squadron.”

7. kenmorrison

kenmorrison Member

Brilliant - :first:
    Thank you all so much. A photo of Squadron Leader MacEwen' s grave is at
    http://scottishwargraves.phpbbweb.com/scottishwargraves-ftopic983.html

The inscription also mentions Air Vice Marshall Sir Norman MacEwen.

This plot has various members of the (extended) Keswick family who were local landowners based at Mabie House, New Abbey - now a Country House Hotel.

Ken

8. kenmorrison

kenmorrison Member

ps. What's No. 3 SGR ?

Ken

9. spidge

spidge Active Member

School of General Reconnaissance!

10. CXX

CXX New Member

School of General Reconnaissance