Gravestone fears 'over-reaction'

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by Kyt, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

It is disgraceful the way that some councils have been acting and I hope the advice is taken

BBC NEWS | Politics | Gravestone fears 'over-reaction'

2. spidge

spidge Active Member

I would love to know the circumstances of the five deaths from falling headstones.

3. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Me too!!

Whilst out taking photos for you and Sniper we saw some absolutely delapidated graveyards but I suspect that it often took as much work to lay the headstone down as it would have to have made it good.

4. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

I imagine alcohol and/or skylarking would have been involved - both disrespectful things.

5. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Our old vicar went around with another big strong bloke rocking gravestones til they moved, then they sprayed them with car paint to mark them as unsafe and put a list up in the church porch of offending graves. He then came up against my mother as he marked my nan's grave. And bear in mind my brothers tend the graveyard too. Got that sorted. specially as he then wanted to rip up all the kerbs etc.

Since taking photos for Sniper and Spidge, seen hundreds laid down, broken off, staked and caged in. Ridiculous as noone will pay for them to be rebedded, which is usually the only problem. Shame really. But 'elf & safety and all that. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

6. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

I would imagine, Kitty, given your skills, that you would be rather good at preserving graveyards etc. Ever thought of approaching the CWGC for work?

Cannot believe your old vicar did that. Of all people...

7. Kitty

Kitty New Member

He wasn't a man of God Andy. Was a spiteful piece of work. Glad we got rid of him.

Would love to work for the CWGC but the pay is abysmal, and not got any grounds keeping qualifications. Shame really. But they do a lovely job of tending my great uncles war grave near by. A little heather plant kept trimmed up. Must contact them about some of the graves I've come across. one of which isn't even listed on their site. I keep forgetting.