George York RAAF

Discussion in 'Memorials & Cemeteries' started by spidge, Dec 22, 2007.

1. spidge

spidge Active Member

Kyt,

Have I asked you about this before?

George York was a friend of my old MD.

Do you have any info on this flight? (Chorley?)

I am really trying to get a photo of his headstone (and the others if possible, so I need to know what other flyers were on the aircraft. Gen has been trying however it is difficult for his contact to get to Rheinberg.

YOUNG, PHILIP EDWARD Flight Lieutenant 422825 102sq RAF 13/08/1944 30 Royal Australian Air Force Australian Coll. grave 8. E. 7-11. RHEINBERG WAR CEMETERY Germany Kamp Lintfort, Nordrhein-Westfal

GORDON, JOHN GRIEVE Pilot Officer 423711 102sq RAF 13/08/1944 32 Royal Australian Air Force Australian Coll. grave 8. E. 7-11. RHEINBERG WAR CEMETERY Germany Kamp Lintfort, Nordrhein-Westfal

HARVEY, ALFRED HENRY Pilot Officer 423726 102sq RAF 13/08/1944 30 Royal Australian Air Force Australian Coll. grave 8. E. 7-11. RHEINBERG WAR CEMETERY Germany Kamp Lintfort, Nordrhein-Westfal

YORK, GEORGE Pilot Officer 428858 102sq RAF 13/08/1944 29 Royal Australian Air Force Australian Coll. grave 8. E. 7-11. RHEINBERG WAR CEMETERY Germany Kamp Lintfort, Nordrhein-Westfal

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Halifax MZ647 DY-R

Mission tp Russelsheim

Cause of loss and crashsite not established.

F/L P E Young RAAF
    CWGC :: Casualty Details

F/O K L Walker

Sgt J C Doughty

Sgt R R H Osborne

F/S G York RAAF

Sgt J V Finney RAAF

F/S J G Gordon RAAF

F/S A H Harvey RAAF

297 aircraft - 191 Lancasters, 96 Halifaxes, 10 Mosquitos - to Rüsselsheim. 13 Lancasters and 7 Halifaxes lost, 6.7 per cent of the force. The target for this raid was the Opel motor factory and normal Pathfinder marking methods were used. The motor factory was only slightly damaged; the local report states that the tyre and dispatch departments and the powerhouse were hit but most of the bombs fell in open countryside south of the target.

There appears to be a couple of people on the web who are trying to establish exactly how and where this aircraft was lost but without results so far

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

4. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hi Kyt,

Thanks mate, very detailed.

Where does Finney come into this?

Cheers

Geoff

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Oops sorry Spidge. There were two J V Finneys on the CWGC (both killed in Aug 1944) and I linked the wrong one.

This is the correct one, and he was RAF not RAAF:

Jack Vernon Finney

6. spidge

spidge Active Member

Thanks.

I thought my research was up the spout!:heh: