Flt. Lt. Alastair Norman Leigh McQueen - where did this man die?

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by kenmorrison, Jan 8, 2012.

1. kenmorrison

kenmorrison Member

I'm looking for help, please regarding Alastair Norman Leigh McQueen.

CWGC has Flight Lieutenant (Pilot) 129934 - Died 9 February 1945 and buried in Brussels Town Cemetery.
    However it has always puzzled me that his family gravestone is inscribed "killed in action in Holland"
    Recently I've had information that McQueen was the pilot of an Auster aircraft of 2 Tactical Air Force, was attached to TAC HQ 21 Army Group, was based in Eindhoven and died near Peuninger, Holland.
    The Service Returns for 1945 held by the General Records of Scotland confirm his rank, unit, date and place of death.

Just to add to the mix of uncertainty, the Belgian Aviation History Association investigated the crash site of a Lancaster bomber of 15 Squadron (HK620) in the year 2000
    The following text is from www.users.telenet.be/airwareurope/en/bergingen/lancaster_wauthier_e.htm

"An Allied team recovered the remains of eight airmen, probably not knowing this plane had the exceptional number of nine people on board - this seems understandable as the above mentioned Operational Record Book only mentions eight - it seems the debriefing officer did not knew there was a second pilot on board, as F/L McQueen's name is not mentioned. However, after the war he was identified, together with the rest of the crew, except the wireless operator, Sgt A. Dobson. The remains of the crew rest at Evere/Brussels cemetery. The missing airman, 23 year old Sgt Alan Thomas Dobson is commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial."

Does anyone have any other information which would clarify where he died?

Ken