Field Marshal Waldemar Levy Cardoso RIP

Discussion in 'Memorials & Cemeteries' started by Kyt, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/obituaries/article6611998.ece

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

108 years old. Now that is an innings and a half. RIP.

Other than the Jug unit/s, I'm afraid I know very little of Brazil's involvement in the war. Will have to look around a bit. Naval ops would have been interesting considering their coastline.

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

5. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi Kyt,
    He sounded quite a character.
    Ever tried looking into the service record of Enoch Powell M.P.

Cheers
    Keith

6. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I know he served as an Intelligence Officer in North Africa and India, though, as he often said himself, he regretted never having seen combat himself. I also know that he was vehemantly oppossed to giving India independence, and though it is claimed that he loved the country and learnt to speak Hindi and Urdu, his attitude was very much that of a colonial officer.

As for his later political life....well I hope you understand if I don't comment on that because it would be full of expletives

7. Keith

Keith New Member

Nocher

Hi Kyt,

I was particularly interested in his army career.
    He flew home from Australia in 1939 to enlist as a private soldier.
    Within the space of a few years he rose through every rank in the army, until he reached his final one of Brigadier.
    Even though he was an extremely gifted scholar and brilliant linguist, there was no sidestepping or his being pushed up the ladder.
    He earned every rank on sheer ability to do the job.
    It is a shame he is only remembered for his radically racist sounding speeches.
    He was largely instrumental for the influx of Asian, West Indian workers to help in the NHS and other needful sectors.
    One of his main fears was the influx of displaced European refugees.
    Attatched is a clip from the Churchillian Society.

Cheers
    Keith

Attached Files:

8. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

John Enoch Powell

Commissioned as 2nd/Lt onto the General List after Officer Cadet Training on 18th May 1940

Confirmed as 2nd Lt in the Intelligence Corps 15th July 1940

Lt and transferred to RWR 9th Oct. 1941

But it's MBE that amused me because of the three ranks

Captain (temporary Major) (acting Lieutenant-Colonel) John Enoch Powell (130411)

9. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi Kyt,
    The main things people forget about Enoch Powell is the he flew home, volunteered and joined the British Army in Sept 1939.
    His abilities were quickly realised and after various N.C.O. rank jumps was put forward for Officer training in 1940.
    He loved India and the Indian people and had a great respect for their skills, which influenced his descision to recruit them for service in this country, when he became responsible for NHS recruitment.
    He appeared to have the same regard for the West Indian nationals.

He was, like many others, the victim of very bad press, by the taking out of context, various parts of his speeches.

He may not have been politically correct, but his intentions in bringing to the public awareness, the risks of overcrowding this island, are now being echoed by most in office today and a large proportion of the British public.

Albeit none of them realising who they were repeating.

Cheers
    Keith