Enola Gay, heroism or insanity?

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Lawrence1967, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Lawrence1967

Lawrence1967 Member

Enola Gay, undoubtedly the most famous B-29 bomber ever built. The big question, his fame comes from an act of heroism or insanity? Click on the link below, answer this poll and leave your opinion. The link also contains a full report and photos about this important chapter of WW2. Be sure to visit and participate.

http://aviacaoemfloripa.blogspot.com.br/2012/02/enola-gay.html

Cheers.

Lawrence

2. sdmahaneysc

sdmahaneysc New Member

I got to see Bocks Car up close last year. It was oddly unsettling.
    [don't tell the docents at the Air Force Museum - I had to reach out and touch her!]

3. Interrogator#6

Interrogator#6 Active Member

Lawrence, thank you for all the good you do here are with your own site. Alas, as I tragicly do not speak nor read Italian I could not find your poll, nor could I find a way to participate.

While I agree the opening of the pandora's box which is the weaponized use of atomic energy is a human tragedy, the use of the two weapons to bring about a rapid conclusion to that war seems to in the end, saved more lives than were lost. Someone has pointed out the projected invasion of the Home Islands would have cost many more deaths on both sides.

GearZ likes this.
  4. sdmahaneysc

sdmahaneysc New Member

I'm not seeing the survey at all.

At any rate, saying anything one way or another about bombing Japanese cities is completely vapid without presentation of alternatives. Not dropping the bombs does not either a) end the war or b) make the bombs go away.

I for one spent some time exploring military options for the bombs and could not see anything but a badly muddled outcome.