Dr Jim Wheeler, Irish Rugby International

Discussion in 'Sportsmen & women' started by robco, Jan 5, 2010.

1. robco

robco Member

Dr James Reid Wheeler
    Born: Belfast, 27 December, 1898
    Died: Belfast 22 March, 1973

A former consultant in ophthalmology at the Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast, he was one of five sons of a former surgeon at the Royal Victoria, four of whom graduated in medicine at Queen’s University, Belfast.

He enlisted in the Royal Artillery in 1917 while still a student and he was twice wounded. He was also mentioned in despatches. He returned to study medicine at Queen’s after WW1 and graduatedin1923.

After house appointments in Belfast he studied ophthalmology and ororhinolaryngology at the London Hospital. He took a DLO in 1926 and the DOMS in 1927. he took the FRCS Ed in 1929.

He returned to Belfast and set up practice at Belfast Ophthalmic Hospital and the Royal Victoria. He also became involved in the administration of both hospitals and from 1961-63 was chairman of the medical staff committee at the Royal Victoria. He also became a member of the Northern Ireland Hospitals Authority for a period on its first formation when the NHS was introduced.

In 1937 he was made lecturer in ophthalmology at Queen’s University, a post he held until 1964. He was a member of the Royal Society of Medicine and in 1959 he was president of the ophthalmology section.

His rugby career gained momentum at Queen’s University and he played for Ulster, NIFC and won five caps for Ireland at outside half.

When his playing career ended, he took up refereeing and controlled three Calcutta Cup matches (England v Scotland) and two other Tests. He was made President of the Irish Rugby Football Union in 1959.

2. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Robco

Thanks for the additional information.

Gareth

Wheeler, James Reid played for Ireland

Internationals: 2: 1922 E- S- W- F+ ; 1924 E-

James Reid was born in 1898 in Belfast

Played as a Fly Half for: Methodist College Belfast, Queen’s University Belfast, Collegians, Barbarians

Profession: Medicine

War service: Royal Artillery

Remarks: Refereed England v Scotland 1929, 1931 and 1932, Scotland v Wales 1930, England v Wales 1931. President, Irish Rugby Union 1959-1960.

He died on 23 March 1973 in Belfast.

3. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Heres a couple of obituaries ... the second with a photo !

James Reid Wheeler, I898-I973

James Reid Wheeler, formerly Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon in the Belfast Ophthalmic Hospital and the Royal Victoria Hospital, died at his home on March 22, I973.
    Born in Belfast on December 27, I898, the son of a surgeon at the Royal Victoria Hospital, he was educated at the Methodist College. In 19I7 he volunteered for the Royal Artillery, and served in France where he was wounded twice and mentioned in despatches. He qualified M.B., B.Ch., B.A.O., in I923 and after house appointments went to the London Hospital where he studied for and took the D.L.O. (1926) and D.O.M.S. (I927). In I929 he became F.R.C.S. (Ed.), and thereafter returned to Belfast where he joined the Belfast Ophthalmic Hospital, and shortly afterwards the Royal Victoria Hospital, as a member of their Honorary Visiting Staff. To these institutions and to the teaching of students he devoted himself with application and enthusiasm.

In 1937 he was appointed Lecturer and Head of the Department of Ophthalmology in the Queen's University and was later made a member of the first Northern Ireland Hospitals Authority. From I96I-I963 he was Chairman of the Medical Staff Committee of the Royal Victoria Hospital.
    In professional organizations Mr. Wheeler played a full part, being a member of the O.S.U.K. and the Royal Society of Medicine where he was President of the Section in 1959. During his year of office the Section met in Belfast. He was a Council member of the Faculty of Ophthalmology and of the Ophthalmic Group Committee of the B.M.A. He was a past president of the Irish Ophthalmological Society and of the Ulster Medical Society.

In his younger days Jim Wheeler was an outstanding exponent of rugby football and while a student figured in the University Fifteen as a member of several famous teams. He played as out half for Ireland on five occasions. Later, as a referee, he took charge of several international matches, including three for the Calcutta Cup. He was president of the Irish Rugby Football Union in 1959 and retained until the end his interest in the game.

To him, as the leader of the group of medical staff concerned, is due much credit for the commodious and well-equipped "Eye and Ear Clinic" opened for use just as he retired. To his colleagues who worked with him he has left a memory of a maturity in his professional outlook and of an integrity and a love of humanity that was all his own.

He is survived by his wife, who had been a fellow student and who helped him for many years as a clinical assistant in the Belfast Ophthalmic Hospital, and by a son and two daughters, to whom we offer sincere sympathy.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/25425630